Black "mist" on start-up

foresteronw

Registered
I've had some starting issues with my bike (2003 Hayabusa) over the past year and now I get to add one more.

For some reason when I first start up the bike and I'm letting it warm up I get a black mist coming out of the exhaust. It isn't smoke, no smoke at all, just some black spots of liquid (smells like exhaust, not gas but who knows). If there is something white, like last time my sister's mini van...lol, behind it even up to ten feet or so I can see where the black spots are hitting it.

The spark plugs are fine, and like I said there is absolutely ZERO smoke.

The history of my starting problem is that it is hard to start. It will crank hard and strong but that is all it does (not alway but more common than not) is crank crank crank and not fire. I will stop then try again and it will fire right up. If I crack the throttle it will help start it quicker on the first try. It does it weather it's hot or cold.

Here is what I've done so far with no help:

new battery
new fuel pump
new spark plugs
adjusted TPS with Power Commander software to check idle
checked throttle position on Power Commander settings
tried several different maps
checked for vacume leaks (the best I can but I don't know a great way to do it)
Adjusted idle
adjusted fast idle
cleaned air filter
unplugged Power Commander and connected stock computer
unplugged TRE

I think that's it so far.

i have seen a few of your posts on sho about this problem,it must be driving you nuts,i know that's what it would do to me

the symptoms seem to point to a leaky injector,may want to look into that next,good luck

Black droplets out of the exhaust.... IMO,

1) Running rich (or)
2) Leak in gasket

Someone correct meif im wrong

Black droplets out of the exhaust.... IMO,

1) Running rich (or)
2) Leak in gasket

Someone correct meif im wrong
my last dyno chart showed it running rich, but i want to figure everything else out before I get it tuned and make sure there is nothing else I need to fix.

What gasket are you talking about that you think could be leaking.

here is where i become less then helpful,but i believe it takes some specialized euiptment (dealer) to check them

dissclaimer , undestand,i am not a expert on fi, but the symptoms, hard starting,black droplets,and it starting quicker when you crack the throttle ,that last one is what leads me to think it may be a leaky injetor,if the injector is bleeding down creating a over rich (hard starting) condition,and when you crack the throttle open you are introducing air which helps it fire quicker,maybe ? maybe not ?

you guys are looking to deep. If I had to guess I would say that all you are getting is moisture out of the system that is picking up soot from the pipes on the way out. Start your car and you see water dripping out of the tail pipe, samething.

you guys are looking to deep.  If I had to guess I would say that all you are getting is moisture out of the system that is picking up soot from the pipes on the way out.  Start your car and you see water dripping out of the tail pipe, samething.
+1

If it isn't thick black sooty nasty at the end of the pipe(s) and since the 'mist' and 'droplets' don't smell like fuel, it's just probably just condensation coming out of the muffler(s).

you guys are looking to deep.  If I had to guess I would say that all you are getting is moisture out of the system that is picking up soot from the pipes on the way out.  Start your car and you see water dripping out of the tail pipe, samething.
+1

If it isn't thick black sooty nasty at the end of the pipe(s) and since the 'mist' and 'droplets' don't smell like fuel, it's just probably just condensation coming out of the muffler(s).
yep, and you probably do alot of short runs, never gets a chance to completely dry the moisture in the exhaus system.

what elevation you at? humid there?

Well it all started when I was living on the coast of Maine and now I live on the coast of North Carolina...both elevation is basically sea level. I don't go on short trips, I actually ride 50 miles to work and 50 miles back when I comute with it and last year alone I put over 17,000 miles on the bike (21,000 total right now).

The end of the pipe is black, more so than most other bikes I see. I know what you mean about vehicles with moisture dropping out but this isn't like that, it's hard to explain. When the bike cools off I'm going to fire it up and put a piece of computer paper behind it to show what it looks like, might sound stupid but who knows..lol.

Back