Black & Hispanic vote won it for Obama...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Let me start by stating that if Obama was a politician who shared my values on less taxes (capital gains), less government, drill oil "for now", pro-life, etc., I would have voted for him. So don't even go there with the racist crap.

Obama is a very charismatic, intelligent and skilled politician and someone I would enjoy sitting down with over a beer to pick his brain. But he won not only because he ran a ridiculously financed campaign supported by a mass media which viewed him as infallable, but simply because he is a "black man" who promises the same ol' Democratic policy of raising taxes on the "rich" and subsequntly distributing more money and government programs to the lower income class and those simply looking for handouts who have no job and no ambition to take a job when it's staring them in the face.

Obama was incredibly efficient as a politician and non-stereotypical as a black man but African Americans saw him as a black man than most others and voted for him accordingly. Previous black candidates have never won the Dem's Presidential nomination which didn't incite the black voter turnout like it did this year. I'm curious to see all the final stats on the voting segments as they are counted.

Stats according to MSNBC (as liberal as you get) should be no surprise to anyone:
1. Dems got 88% of the black vote in 2004 but 95% this year along with a larger black voter turnout this year than in past years for the simple fact he is a black man...black voter turnout had declined before this election.

2. Dems got 43% of the hispanic vote in 2004 but 58% this year along with a larger turnout as well.

3. Dems only got 2% more of the white vote...41% in 2004, 43% this year.

4. With all the talk regarding the young vote this year there was an improved turnout of only 1%...17% in 2004, 18% this year.

Did you see the number of homeless people that turned up at the polls to vote for the first time in their lives?

Did you see the number of homeless people that turned up at the polls to vote for the first time in their lives?

It is tragic that in a country that is as great and wealthy as ours that we have homeless people.

I believe that Obama won this election simply because so many people wanted change. They are tired of the poor economy, the war in Iraq and Afganistan, and maybe other things. Sadly, Republicans were to blame, wrongly in my opinion. Obama was not my choice, but he is our new President. I have to accept that and move on.

P.

13% of America is Black. Don`t know the % of Mexicans. More Whites voted for BO, who wanted change. Time will tell us how this works.

The right had no candidate. Bad economy, the war, loss of jobs= White House Change.

13% of America is Black. Don`t know the % of Mexicans. More Whites voted for BO, who wanted change. Time will tell us how this works.

The right had no candidate. Bad economy, the war, loss of jobs= White House Change.

+1... much the same of what I meant... true!

P.

I did not vote for Obama but he is now my president and I will support him until or unless he proves to be incompetent!

I wish him well and my "HOPE" is he will prove to be a great leader of the free world. Time will tell.

Well, you gutta remember, McCain is just about ready for "Toe Tag" anyway!

74% of voters were white. Obama didn't win because he is black. He won because of several dozen things but primarily because he is the more charismatic of the two candidates, because he is a better orator and because people are pissed about the Bush administration's dictatorial, we-know-your-needs-better-than-you attitude toward us poor slobs workin' the mills every day.

I voted for McCain but I have to admit, Obama's rhetoric was very compelling. What I fear is that people are so desperate for change and the economy smacked them so hard the last few months, people are willing to vote for ANYthing that's different and they haven't been using their heads in the process.

--Wag--

74% of voters were white. Obama didn't win because he is black. He won because of several dozen things but primarily because he is the more charismatic of the two candidates, because he is a better orator and because people are pissed about the Bush administration's dictatorial, we-know-your-needs-better-than-you attitude toward us poor slobs workin' the mills every day.

I'm not saying he "solely" won it because he is black...the economy and other factors weigh into his winning. If you go back and look I'm saying he received a lot of additional votes from blacks (7% more vs 2004, of a larger black turnout this year) and hispanics (15% more vs 2004 of a larger hispanic turnout) that sealed the victory for him. For many of these voters, including few whites, the fact they were able to vote for a black man as President was the factor that incited them to get off their rears and go out and vote period.

I voted for McCain but I have to admit, Obama's rhetoric was very compelling. What I fear is that people are so desperate for change and the economy smacked them so hard the last few months, people are willing to vote for ANYthing that's different and they haven't been using their heads in the process.

-Wag-

Agreed, if the economy does not crumble under the feet of the Sam's Club voters, as I heard them called today, then McCain wins. -

:thumbsup:

Voters should be able to answer the easiest, most basic of questions before being allowed to vote.

For example: What is the name of Barrack Obama's running mate? What is the name of John McCain's running mate? Who was the first President of the United States? etc.

If you can't answer the most simple questions how can you even begin to comprehend anything or anybody you are voting for?

I think if the economy had been rolling strong, McCain would have won.

Voters should be able to answer the easiest, most basic of questions before being allowed to vote.

For example: What is the name of Barrack Obama's running mate? What is the name of John McCain's running mate? Who was the first President of the United States? etc.

If you can't answer the most simple questions how can you even begin to comprehend anything or anybody you are voting for?

If we're going to talk about who should be allowed to vote, it should be anyone who is directly paying property taxes and that's it.

--Wag--

I have read these threads mostly to be amused by the comments made on both sides, but I can't let this one go...VOTER LITERACY TESTS??? you have to be kidding. This tactic was used in the south in the early 60s to prevent black people from registering to vote. Thankfully they were eliminated by the voting rights act of 1965 and the elimination has been upheld by a series of supreme court cases.

Every American citizen has and deserves the right to vote and for that vote to count equally.

BTW shopping at SAMS Club makes sense to me, but I do go the Fresh Market on special occasions :)

I'm sure he will do a fine job.....for as long as he lives anyway.

Back