Bike won't start...

apehog

Registered
I went to start the bike after washing it, and while the needles swing, thumbing the starter button produces nothing. I bought a new battery as the old one is about 4 years old..still nothing. Could it be a clutch or side stand switch? This has happened before...once in a great while after a ride and I shut the bike off, the same thing happened. It always started after another try tho.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, as this is going to have to be my main transport soon.

Maybe when washing it you flipped kill switch and it's still off?
Can you here fuel pump priming? If not you may be in first with kickstand down?
Flip to neutral or flip kickstand up and see if it primes and starts?

Maybe when washing it you flipped kill switch and it's still off?
Can you here fuel pump priming? If not you may be in first with kickstand down?
Flip to neutral or flip kickstand up and see if it primes and starts?

I dont believe the needles will sweep if the kill switch is in the off position :dunno:

Actually, this might have to wait until I get back from a trip. I still have my pickup to drive to work in, but while it's drivable, the insurance co. totaled it out ( I was rear ended while in a backup),and they'll be collecting it soon. Another vehicle isn't in the financial plans yet, so I gotta get the busa running. It's the first time she ever let me down..:down:

UPDATE...I jumped the clutch safety switch..bike started. Removed the switch and cleaned the contacts...success! Didn't have to replace it.

ape, this happened to my 08' last year and i was wigging out. the contact point for the solenoid to the clutch relay switch wasn't making complete contact. it's cheap so why not just swap it out for a new one and avoid a headache? glad you found the source.

UPDATE...I jumped the clutch safety switch..bike started. Removed the switch and cleaned the contacts...success! Didn't have to replace it.

Most likely you can repair this problem without buying a new switch..
Clean the switch contacts with a emery cloth and use delectric grease on the contacts. This happens to bikes that are driven in the rain and also owners that wash there bikes without covering the electrical stuff. Glad it was something that didnt cost.:thumbsup:

Riding the busa or any other bike I've owned to work year round in all kinds of weather has been a fact of life for years. Waterproofing safety switches is something I didn't even think of but is a good idea lankee.Schism.when you confided the number of times that the switch is activated because of clutch usage then yes, the plunger mechanism can wear out or break and replacement isn't a bad idea.
Given the symptoms repeating themselves a 1/2" piece of wire will get me started again in an emergency.:thumbsup:

great news, glad you found it and were able to fix it without too much trouble or expense :beerchug:

Back