bike sputtering

when i put a BMC"RACE" filter on mine it went whacko like that, took it off and all's good.

I checked vacuum lines on the bike and that was fine. I took out the filter and rode around the block and that didnt change anything either. I disconnected my PC and reconnected the stock computer on the bike and the sputtering stopped. I am going to have a new map made for the bike and see if that solves the problem.

the PC is 2 months old. I just sent an email to the company i bought it from and i am waiting to hear their feedback. They have been pretty helpful when i have called them.

i would try and put a zero map in it and see if it still runs funky, if so sounds like a PC issue
My 2001 did the same thing years ago. After I checked it with my wide band setup.........found the map to be very rich between 2% and 5% throttle opening. Not enough to create black smoke,......but the bike lurched at low speed steady throttle opening. The A/F ratio was between 11 and 12 to 1. After leaning it out to around 13.5 at low speed,.......the bike smoothed out. Since then,......I've tried different maps and seem to always had to do the same with the new map. Companies are not going to give you a fuel mileage map. Too much risk in running toward the lean side. I lost 8 mpg with my first map. After tuning it to the correct numbers,........I now run in the mid 40's for fuel economy and still make 20 hp above stock bikes.

All in all,.......if you don't find a vacuum leak. Please do as others have mentioned. Have it tuned. IMO,.....riding around with a wide band is much more accurate than any dyno tuning. Dynos are great for WOT,.......but not so much for low speed, part throttle riding. My two cents! Let us know what happens.

Not sure what a wide band setup is? Can you clarify on that?

I actually just took the bike out again and got the RPM's up over 10,000 and was still losing power with stock computer and PC unplugged. I am going to take my spark plugs out this weekend and see if they are fouled up. Bike is not sputtering as nearly as much with PC out but still is slightly.

I am going to change my plugs this weekend. Like you said it is worth the $12.

Also, how do you reset your throttle position sensor (TPS)? I was reading other posts and thought maybe that needed to be done possibly.

If anyone is having the same problem I did I put the answer below from the company i bought my exhaust from:

"surging is a lean condition.If the bike lays down at high rpm that is also a lean condition. We have dynoed a brand new 08 with 300 miles on it and that fuel system was all stock and pulled right up to redline , making 170.1 hp. When you added the K+N filter you also leaned it out even more. Put the stock aircleaner back in and I'll bet the performance picks up. That will document whether it is indeed lean or not. Any time you change an exhaust system out for a less restrictive system an engine generally has different fuel requirements, usually a higher level as hp is a product of a more dense fuel/air ratio."

I played with the settings on my PC III and raised the fuel on the low, mid, and high and the bike is running much, much smoother. I am going to take it to a motorcycle shop this week and have a new custom map made for it so that it is perfect.

I changed the spark plugs a few days ago and that was not the problem. Checked all vacuum lines and those were fine. If you run a PC on your bike and are unsure if thats the problem with your bike always consider that to be a good reason your bike is surging or sputtering.

A thorough Visual Inspection is the first step in Troubleshooting. Check those Vacuum lines.
Oh well just read the rest... Get it tuned at a well known cycle tuner.

You should at least check your plugs to see if its running too lean. If they look normal at least you know you're not burning out the engine.

Change the plugs first. Then check the synch on the throttle bodies. If they were tuned well enough for the stock-restrictive air filter...you just magnified any maladjustment with a freer flowing element like a K&N. If you haven't disabled the pair valve yet, please do so. Not effecting anything you're currently describing, but will help on the downshifts.

That is all....
super.gif

Back