03 sputtering/starting problems

MaBusa214

Registered
While riding my 03'Busa most of the day with no issues, I decided to take it on a quick ride in the evening before putting her up. I road 5-10 miles into town with no problems, but when I was almost home the bike started sputtering and loosing power. I was in second gear and felt the bike start jerking and sputtering. I downshifted to 1st and gave it gas. The bike continued to jerk and sputter before it finally stalled. I coasted to a stop and tried to restart it, but it refused to start. When I turn the bike on I can hear the fuel pump kicking on, so I don't think it's the pump. When I searched this issue I saw this issue was common with the earlier models but was supposed to be fixed by 03. Any suggestions?

What's done to the bike? Has the bike started or turned over since it died out? If has power commander try disconnecting and see if the bike will start if not verify that you are getting spark and check fuel pressure. Could be a clogged fuel filter. Also check for any loose wires/connections. My bike (2002) had the fuel pump connections break loose and the bike killed. Hope this helps.

Ok, I checked all the plugs for spark and they were all good. I removed the fuel line from the pump to remove the tank and fuel started pouring out of the line. I filled up a bucket then reconnected it when I realized it was flowing from the tank through the pump. Is fuel supposed to flow through the pump without it running? I removed the pump and the filter is perfectly clean. I think my next step will be to buy a new pump, thoughts?

Not sure on this one. Last time i elevated the hose end above the tank before it had gotten too messy. Have you checked for loose connections or blown fuses? I doubt the injectors are dirty enough to completely stop fuel flow. Does the bike have a power commander?

The oring went bad.have to replace.but most time when they go bad u need a new pump...just buy a replacement pump on ebay 50 bucks and buy 2 new oring from suzuki

What oring are you talking about? Bought a new pump and installed it and same issue. I checked the seals and there were no cuts on any of them. I'm not sure what check next.

Well the fuel pressure regulator came off the pump while I was riding. This ever happen to anyone else? I've safety wired it back on and am back in business.

Back