2000 busa spits,sputter, and quits running

marcusmlg

Registered
My busa has started spitting, sputtering, and then will actually bog and die while I'm riding. You have to pull over, shut it off, and then it will restart. Some days it doesn't do it. It's started doing it more often in the last week. Any ideas? Thanks!

You gotta give more details because this could be fuel related or poor electrical connection getting worse.

When this happens and you restart, does the engine rev to any rpm? Does the bogging occur at any rpm? Are you getting any codes?

When it happens, don't pull over - instead, pull the clutch in and hit 'Starter' button, and see if it restarts, then gently rev her up while releasing the clutch. If after that you can stay in lower gear and get revs pretty high and nothing happens, I'd say it's not fuel related. However, if it consistently bogs down as you try to increase rpm, then it's fuel related.

Let us know...

Side point... you joined in 2012 and this is your first post! Man, you are a patient person restraining from posting for so long. Anyway, welcome! Tell us some good stories.

You gotta give more details because this could be fuel related or poor electrical connection getting worse.

When this happens and you restart, does the engine rev to any rpm? Does the bogging occur at any rpm? Are you getting any codes?

When it happens, don't pull over - instead, pull the clutch in and hit 'Starter' button, and see if it restarts, then gently rev her up while releasing the clutch. If after that you can stay in lower gear and get revs pretty high and nothing happens, I'd say it's not fuel related. However, if it consistently bogs down as you try to increase rpm, then it's fuel related.

Let us know...

Side point... you joined in 2012 and this is your first post! Man, you are a patient person restraining from posting for so long. Anyway, welcome! Tell us some good stories.

It won't rev up until it kind of resets itself. I always try to restart it before i pull over. it just seems to need to wait to restart for about a minute or so and then you can take off again. sometimes it repeats the cutting out immediately. even several times in a row a couple days ago. but if you park it for awhile it always restarts and runs fine until the next fit. I was at Bikes, blues and BBQ last weekend. it acted up on Wednesday. i rode it on a 150 mile poker run on Thursday. It never hiccuped. Then Friday it did it again.

If I try to give it the gas, it does the same thing but only more. It all started to happen about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse.

I am starting to lean that it's electrical. Are you getting FI light at all? Pay attention if this happens at a certain RPM. The theory goes that you have a poor electrical connection somewhere in one of the connectors. Once you hit a certain RPM, the connector resonates and disrupts the connection for a quick moment. Try to increase rpm very gradually and see if you can more positively catch a certain RPM when this happens. I would guess a mid range RPM is likely to cause it. Still not excluding the possibility of fuel starvation due to clog, but need to have more clear indications.

I bet on your Poker Run, you riding (RPM wise) was different than usual (i.e. low rpm).

If I try to give it the gas, it does the same thing but only more. It all started to happen about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse.

You may have a similar case. What year is your bike?

If it's like 8 years old or older, and has seen its share of humidity/heat/cold, it is inevitable that connectors slowly oxidize over time, and eventually develop poor connection somewhere, really prone to vibration. If this is the case, there is an easy fix. But first it's important to be sure it's electrical and not fuel related.

Back