Bike Comunication

Pinball

Registered
What type of bike communication is everyone using? I see the chatterbox mounts to the side of the helmet. What about wires for your cell phone , XM radio , PPT button other rider setup? what are the pros and cons of each? Are each of them able to talk to the other and what not. Im here at work bored to death.

<!--EDIT|Pinball
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113915108 -->

I am really interested in this myself. I need to do a bit more research and get a few friends on board, but I am leaning towards the chatterbox. Features are dependant on budget.

I have the CHatterbox FRS X2. I have been using Chatterbox for about 8 years and I have no complaints, however I have been looking at the autocomm setup. WHen my wife still rode, we both had them, so talking to each other worked really well, especially when we got separated. Now, it seems like the only thing I use mine for is to plug my mini disk player into. I like the features of the autocomm and from what I have read, the base set up is about 175, which is less than I paid for the X2. Great system for bike to bike, but only works with nokia phones (if you really want to talk on the phone while riding) - anyway, there are a few guys here who use them, so I am sure there will be more comments.

I have a chatterbox, 5 mile one. It has plugs for cell phone, passenger, and other(walkman/cd player). I'd say the main and important difference between them is the chatterbox is battery powered and autocomm I believe runs on the bikes power.

What do you do with the wires from the raido, Cell , PPT ? Run them inside your jacket ? That would making getting off the bike a 5 min task. I guess what im looking for is something to just plug into.

I have the chatterbox x-1, only problems is the speakers do not have much bass for the mp3 player. Bike to bike communication or talking to someone in a car with a FRS works great.

Chatterbox GMRS-X1, not to bad. Only drawback that I believe it has is the VOX just stinks. Other than that it's a cool setup.

I havent done it but personally I would go with some type amp device with multiple inputs that would also help overcome windnoise .<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'> Product description</span>
3099.jpg

Since most peeps have cell phones and most group rides are during the weekends this wouldnt be a problem with airtime usage. If your riding with your woman hopefully your on a free phone to phone service plan that can be used anytime for "free. Now this might be a problem if your group likes to idle chatter all day like chicken heads.  Just make sure you have everyone on speed dial that you want to talk too.
biggrin.gif

Just my .02

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>I got mo time than money !</span>

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112084748 -->

Id like to buy one of those so that I can connect the iPod to it when i'm riding
biggrin.gif

Any of you know where I can buy it online
rock.gif
Some place that has international shipping

Autocom all the way. Why do batteries when you can hard wire so easily? The Autocom also lets you do a "loop" to increase volume dramatically so using an FRS (bike-to-bike), intercom, cellphone, or radio device can be clearly heard if your helmet is a bit noisy like all the flips I use.

The Autocom can very easily be used with many cellphones by the way not only the Nokia. I use mine with a Motorola camera flip. If anyone has a local BMW dealer around, they stock most Autocom eqpt including the different wiring accessories (like for the different phones) and different push-to-talks.

Elliot

Elsboss
New Recruit

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.00
Location: Ft. Myers, Florida/Todd, N.Carolina     Posted: Mar. 29 2005,12:03  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autocom all the way. Why do batteries when you can hard wire so easily? The Autocom also lets you do a "loop" to increase volume dramatically so using an FRS (bike-to-bike), intercom, cellphone, or radio device can be clearly heard if your helmet is a bit noisy like all the flips I use.

The Autocom can very easily be used with many cellphones by the way not only the Nokia. I use mine with a Motorola camera flip. If anyone has a local BMW dealer around, they stock most Autocom eqpt including the different wiring accessories (like for the different phones) and different push-to-talks.

Elliot  [/QUOTE]

The amp ideal I posted earlier is just a suggestion. You can find other amps similar that can hard wire to the bike battery.  Also I dont think the Autocom can touch the sound quality of a decent aftemarket amp.

Autocom would be my second choice.  
super.gif

What do you do with the wires from the raido, Cell , PPT ? Run them inside your jacket ? That would making getting off the bike a 5 min task. I guess what im looking for is something to just plug into.
If you keep your i-pod and cell in your jacket then the only wire that goes fom you to the motorcycle is the PPT. I keep the quick disconnect near the keyhole, so its pretty easy to get on and off the bike.

Don't know about autocomm, but it will have at least one wire if not more...

Chatter box fx2- wifes wired to it and my mp3 so we jam out on the rides. No problems unless there's a harley next to me - turns the vox on.

Back