Big CC busa starting probs.

lrebusa19

Registered
Since I've had my bike I haven't had any issues, but it's stock. I've seen a lot of guys with big cc stroker kits having issues starting the bikes, especially when hot.
Is this a problem due to voltage drop, heat soak on the starter? Just curious, I am thinking about picking up a gen 2 crank, and building myself a nice lil motor this winter.

Im getting a 1397 done on mine. it is a problem with a stock battery. Heat soaking is the issue as i understand it. Heck i had problems when mine was stock with a stock battery. The solution for me for the 1397 was to use a 230cca battery first and then we sent out the stator to get it worked on so that it puts out a bigger charge for the battery....

Ok, I gotcha. I already replaced my stocker. I was actually wondering if anyone had ever tried wiring 24v to the starter. We do that on all of our pro mod race cars, actually I just finished one today which made me think of it.
Packaging it would be an issue, but after looking at it today I know I could do it. Just didn't know if there was a need.

I have 24v system on both my 1430&1441 Busas..never had a problem w starting&I throw a small 2amp charger on the 2nd battery for a few hours once every few weeks. There are alternatives to this setup but I never had the desire to start messing around w something else as the 24v works just fine for me

Since I've had my bike I haven't had any issues, but it's stock. I've seen a lot of guys with big cc stroker kits having issues starting the bikes, especially when hot.
Is this a problem due to voltage drop, heat soak on the starter? Just curious, I am thinking about picking up a gen 2 crank, and building myself a nice lil motor this winter.

For myself, give it a blip on the starter without the throttle then let er rip. perfect every time.

the 24v start setups are plug n play now and they even allow the stock charge systems to keep the secondary battery charged. It's such an easy setup and kicks the engine right over. :thumbsup:

Oh really? Who sells something like that? I'd like to look into it a little more. Bikes are a bit new to me, I normally stick to cars.

You will not be dissappointed with their kit. Sitting in traffic during bike week this year was no problem. When the temp would get high and the fan kicked on I would just turn the bike off and once traffic started moving agin i hit the switch and it turns over like its been sitting for hours.

I have a 1397 engine. Built with the 12.1 Wiseco pistons. With a one year old stock battery, the bike will cold start every time. Sometimes when the bike sits for say 5 minutes, sounds almost like you have a dead battery and a blip of the throttle she fires up. No need to go to the 24 volt system. You can do a driver seat mod and fit a Gen II battery in a Gen I for the extra cranking power. Should have said that I have a Gen I. If you build your engine, you will never regret it. Stock power is wow, but when you get a built engine you wonder how you lived with a stocker. The engine will cost you a good amount of money. Do it if you can! :cheerleader:

I have 24v system on both my 1430&1441 Busas..never had a problem w starting&I throw a small 2amp charger on the 2nd battery for a few hours once every few weeks. There are alternatives to this setup but I never had the desire to start messing around w something else as the 24v works just fine for me

I have the same setup and it works great. No problems

depends how big the engine my 1720 would start from cold only on 24volt.but when hot would just clik like flat battery, fitted starter with reduction gear but still strugled when hot finally welde4d up sliper starter gear and now starts fine

Back