Big Bore Starting Problems

magzx12r

Registered
A friend has a 2000 Busa with a 1397 big bore kit, cams, Akra exhaust, TRE, PC-3.  When the bike is hot/warm, the engine will not turn over when trying to start.  When the bike is cool, no issues with starting.  He had the starter replaced under warranty and had a Yuasa YTZ-14S battery put in.  The engine still will not turn over when hot.  It has to cool down for a while before he is able to start it.  Any suggestions to resolve this problem.  I did a search, but did not find any starting issues specific to big bore motors.  He did not have this problem before the big bore was installed.

not enough specifics.
what compression ration what cams and degree numbers. if they are wrong it will be hard starting and if it is corrct it should t=start easy or you could use a 24 vlt starting system

JC, He does not know and the people that built it probably will not tell him. Is this something you can look at? He also wants his heads ported. JC, where are you located?

i know some one with the same problem, what he does is give it a little gas as he is hitting the starter botton, seem to work for him...

The problem sounds similar to the problem a lot of engines. First the rings might not have enough end gap? The whole piston might not have enough clearance?

Some Hayabusa's including mine don't like to start after they have a good run,and then shut off. The problem there is the starter.The problem is where the starter is located. In between the engine,and tranny. Too hot! Electrics don't like high heat,and lose their power from it.

I have built a few hot rods,and I always have to put a heat shield around the starter.

All bikes I have owned that mount the starter in between the engine,and tranny won't start right after a hot run. When it cools,they start fine.

I noticed a few things on the Hayabusa when I changed the oil. The oil cooler is mounted really close to the header pipes. Probablt fine while riding,but think about how much heat is transfered to the cooler when the bike is at idle,or stopped?

I'am new to this site,but not new to biking..........32 years.

Just as a test for the starter. I'am going to put some kind of protective cover around it. See if that helps. Might even try venting some air to it???

Just info.............

it is not the starter it is called compression any time you you get above 13.7 u will have a problem or 12.8 in the south but there are ways to fix it. but if he doesn't know what is in the bike the easiest way is 24Vlt

Back