Best way to install new dog bones?

BowDown

Registered
I don't have a lift or center stand for my bike. What's the best way to go about swapping out the rear dog bones?

I read somewhere on the internet you can toss a strap around one of the ceiling joists in your garage, then loop around the rear grab bar and take the weight off the rear wheel?

Does this sound correct?

Put a jack under the bike, I put a cloth on the jack so it wouldn't harm anything. And make sure you take the bottom plastic piece off the bike!
beerchug.gif

(BowDown @ Jul. 24 2007,07:34) I don't have a lift or center stand for my bike. What's the best way to go about swapping out the rear dog bones?

I read somewhere on the internet you can toss a strap around one of the ceiling joists in your garage, then loop around the rear grab bar and take the weight off the rear wheel?

Does this sound correct?
I used that bar that goes across the "trunk" of the bike. It didn't cross my mind to use the grab bar. But yeah ... that's pretty much how I did it.

Put the bike up on a rear stand. Buy a 36" steel rod from Lowe's. Run it thru the swing arm pivot hole and put jack stands under the bar on each side of the bike. Lower the bike onto the jack stands.

Then you loosen the bolts and with a breaker bar under the rear tire, take a little pressure off the bolts slide them out, put your new bones on, replace the bolts (add a little loctite) and torque to spec. Put the bike back on the rear stand, take the bar out, move the jack stands, set her back on the ground. 25 minutes max.

That is just the way I do it.

Don

Back