How to Support Bike for Lowering Link Install?

watford

Registered
What is the best way to support the 'busa to install or adjust a lowering link? The directions with my lowering link seem to suggest lifting the bike under the support bracket for the rear/lower fairing. That bracket does not look very substantial to me. Am I being overly cautious?

Yes Be cautious and don't do it By Yourself!!

You could do it like they say on a rear stand and using a floor jack on the belly pan bracket(its plenty strong enough)..or have a friend pull it over to release the weight on the side stand while you take them off(loosen them alot before trying)or just jack it on the same bracket while the bike is still sitting on the side stand..

If You have stocks pipes the bolts mught hit the pipes and won't come out that easy!!

And When you put the bolts back in make sure You face the nuts on both to the throttle side of the bike..

Well for the bracket depends the quality of metal but I got mine from the local bike dealer Flat Out Motorcycles, and I'm 6'4" 250lbs. and I ride her hard and no problems with it being lowered they are pretty strong and same thickness as the factory ones just 2 more holes!!!!

Here ya go,Champ !

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Or </span>

These are the photos I used when I dropped mine. Photos provided by

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url]contact Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107302012 -->

uploaded_banner.jpg

Dont forget to trim your centerstand mount

Is that belly pan bracket cast? Mine is stamped steel. The one in the photo posted above looks more substantial than mine.

Is that belly pan bracket cast?  Mine is stamped steel.  The one in the photo posted above looks more substantial than mine

I used my wife honda sissor type car jack that comes with most cars to raise the Busa up instead of my garage floor jack while it was on a rear stand with no problem. The reason I used the scissor type jack because it has a flat square surface that will support it with no rocking (wobbles).  Dont forget the bike is still being supported by the rear stand and front tire.  All that you want  to do is to remove the weight (pressure ) of the bike so that you can slide the  bolts out and replace the stock links with your new lowering links.

<span style='font-family:courier'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Just lift the bellypan bracket enough to get the pressure off the link bolts (neutral zone).</span></span></span>

uploaded_banner.jpg

[/b]</span>[/url]contact Rhythm or KS-WaterBug for password to recieve group discount price on HID kits.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107322392 -->

uploaded_banner.jpg

Well there is one thing if you have a center stand on the bike the install is a very easy but i doubt you wana go out and spend the money for a center stand just to do that mod though

Way to go Rhythm, Thats how I did mine and it worked slick.. 1" drop front and rear.. Lucy looks ready to pounce..
super.gif

DR1300R Posted on Feb. 01 2005,23:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Way to go Rhythm, Thats how I did mine and it worked slick.. 1" drop front and rear.. Lucy looks ready to pounce..  

No prob,Doc, but I just added my .50 to the photoz taken by Warbaby (Veltune ) one of our site sponsors.

uploaded_banner.jpg

uploaded_banner.jpg

If I'm holding the link in my hand the holes furthest apart will lower the bike the most. Correct? [/QUOTE]

Yes, that would be extending it while lowering as well.

uploaded_banner.jpg

uploaded_banner.jpg

Well for the bracket depends the quality of metal but I got mine from the local bike dealer Flat Out Motorcycles, and I'm 6'4" 250lbs. and I ride her hard and no problems with it being lowered they are pretty strong and same thickness as the factory ones just 2 more holes!!!!
Most of my 10R mods have come from Flatout. Slava is a good guy to deal with. Do you know him personally?
rock.gif

What is the best way to support the 'busa to install or adjust a lowering link? The directions with my lowering link seem to suggest lifting the bike under the support bracket for the rear/lower fairing. That bracket does not look very substantial to me. Am I being overly cautious?
I done mine alone, with the busa on the Pit Bull Newfront and Rear stands and used a floor jack and a block of wood under the belly pan bracket to take the weight off the bolts so they would come out. Fwiw, I had a TERRIBLE time breaking the nuts loose on those bolts.
drooling3.gif
Bruised a bone in my hand pushing and whacking on a socket handle trying to get them to break loose. If I had to do it again I'd use an impact wrench, no doubt.

Back