Best tires for street riding

Cppr Busa

Donating Member
Registered
What is the best all around tire you can buy? I replace my tires every year, I have just used the oem replacements for the past 3 years, I am happy with them, but am wondering if theres something better out now? Cost isnt a issue. Thanks

Just bought Avon Storms. Haven't had a chance to ride them yet (too much snow) but I've heard good things about them. My riding is mostly touring.

Sorry, cant help here have only 1400 miles on the stock tires. Man I gotta ride more!!!
all_coholic.gif

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 09 2007,16:21) Sorry, cant help here have only 1400 miles on the stock tires. Man I gotta ride more!!!
all_coholic.gif
No kiddin!
biggrin.gif

And get rid of those nasty, dried out, hard Battlax's before they toss you on yer butt!
SHOCKED.gif

(chevelle @ Mar. 09 2007,14:59) I like the bto 14's. Nice all around tire,and rock stable up high.
The tires it comes with are battlax right? Who makes the bto 14s? Thanks for all the help guys!!

The oem tire is a bridgestone bt 56 J. A decent,but somewhat dated tire,also very stable at speed.

The bto 14 is also made by bridgestone. If you liked the oem tire. Chances are you will like the 14's. They just do everything a little bit better.

+1 on the avon storms. I just had some put on last weekend. These were replacement for stockers, which I got 4500 miles out of. I mostly commute , but pretty much do so year round. I like them so far better than the stock tires and the deep tread should do better on wet roads which happens to us commuters from time to time.

What kind of riding do you do??

Touring
Crusing
Drag
Sport touring
Sport
Agressive Sport

Are you looking for the best mileage, the best grip and handling. Or a balance between the two.

(Charlesbusa @ Mar. 10 2007,20:26) What kind of riding do you do??

Touring
Crusing
Drag
Sport touring
Sport
Agressive Sport

Are you looking for the best mileage, the best grip and handling.  Or a balance between the two.
I cruise about 60% <--(Including interstate riding)
Tour about 35%
Drag about 5%

I rode in the rain about 25 times last year. Just trying to get some opinions on peoples experiences, It looks like I have a good selection to choose from, Id be happy to get 4000-5000 miles out of the tires, about what I seem to get out of my oem replacements.

I've got 5,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot Powers and the rear is not yet close to the wear bar. Most of those miles were interstate. With Dunlop D208's I was barely able to get 3,000 miles on a rear tire.

Note on the Michelins if used for cruising: they have a V shaped rather than U shaped cross section, great for leaning the big busa over quickly but puts a smaller contact patch on the highway so you're more prone to having the bike move around for surface irregularities and wind. I do think that the smaller contact patch makes the Michelins good in the rain however. In any case, cruising in the absence of riding twisties will wear the center down a bit so the V shape eventually becomes more U shaped.

For street only use I like the Metzler M1's, they are fairly sticky and they last for a while. I need more traction than normal so I run the shinko 003 super soft, it has a much larger contact patch on the ground and a drag race style compound. Unfortunately you don't get very many miles out of them but the ones you do get are worry free.

Shinko's good for dragging, but for overall riding and dragging knee Michelin PP 2CTs

How about the Pirelli Diablo Corsa or an of the Pirelli tires, thats what I am thinking about going to when my stock tires run out. AND NO wop, wop, wop, jokes then they go flat, I am one!

Back