Best Pashnit Photography of 2012

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
As is my yearly tradition come Oct 1 for quite some time now, I put together a couple Pashnit Calendars each season ( Link no longer works ). But one is just for me, of the Busa of course & gets to go on my office wall to stare at all year. But it requires sorting through hundreds and hundreds of ride photos shot this ride season during all the Pashnit Tours.

I need just 12 good ones. So will post up a couple from my sorting... enjoy.

Still my absolute favorite.

7941464944_71004bcde8_b.jpg

I've always enjoyed your photos as well, Tim. I wish I had your talent for camera operation! If the camera is larger than a pack of smokes and has more than one button I'm lost.

are those salt flats as smooth as they look? is there any prepping done to the surface that goes on when people run their bikes or cars accross those for LSR?

The salt really is flat as it looks. When they do LSR events they scrape the salt to take down minor imperfections like ripples and to make it perfect but for the most part what you see is what you get.

Excellent photos Tim! Looks like you have a full size DSLR in your hand in the photo below, how do you keep it at the ready?

7390802944_a3ac1283e5_b.jpg

Excellent photos Tim! Looks like you have a full size DSLR in your hand in the photo below, how do you keep it at the ready?

Yes, I use a DSLR, just got a Sony A55, 16 mp! (Finally wore out the Sony A350.) It shoots panos, and can also function as a normal video camera. Very cool. The 18-200 mm lens is my favorite for all this travel photography. Still need to source a pistol grip for it.

I keep it in the tank bag so I can grab it quick, but if I'm shooting on the run, I'll have it around my neck and rest it on the tankbag. Come around a corner and see 'the shot', I can quickly roll to a stop, get the shot and back on my merry way. The Throttlemeister simplifies the on-the-go shot like the one above. Get to a long straight (like pictured above), and I can pop up the camera of the tank bag, shoot a couple and hope for the best they might come out.

The 'on the road' shots I'll use the Contour ROAM on a mini-tripod which functions as a nice handle as I'm riding using time shots (photo every 3 seconds). On the 1000 Mile Day ride, shot another 275 pics with the Contour - most are junk & deleted, but you'll get a couple good ones. The Contour is 10x easier to use than the GoPro, but not as many features. To change it b/n timed photos & video you have to re-program it with your laptop. Kinda dumb design really, but for $180, can't complain. GoPro get's used for the 'bike mounted' shots atop the RAM arms, but they are time-consuming & tedious to set up.

So each of the three cameras I've got on board have their strengths.

The '00 rides again!

7179198271_d0b6e8d155_b.jpg

Sand! We're actually riding the original Pony Express route.

7364424744_0017a9bef8_b.jpg

7411450118_55d4cc113f_b.jpg

Back