Best fuel pump for 99?

klp

Registered
I have a 99 with 17k miles - I got it in the fall after it sat for a bunch of years. Over the winter I replaced everything. OK, not everything but all the usual suspects. Checked valve clearance, cleaned tank and strainer on petcock, new fuel filter, cleaned screens. New fuel lines, plugs, cleaned TB's. Other stuff I am forgetting - I was very thorough.

It runs fine but has been stalling out after idling for a while. I first thought it was low on fuel but it happened yesterday with the fuel at about 1/3 full. I have ridden it about 20 miles total, it also seems to want to stall from hard braking.

The idle is set to 1200+-, battery is charged. I have not verified the TPS adjustment - the PO synched the TB's and replaced the fuel pump. I know he got it on Ebay, my first thought is that the pump is a POS and I need a better one. The bike seems to crank a bit before starting too. I know the fuel pressure is supposed to be 43psi or so, maybe I will start there.

At this point I just want to ride it and want it reliable. I have no problem replacing the Ebay pump with a quality one. What is the best pump for these bikes? ??? I searched but did not find a lot.

:devil:

External tank mod is waste of money and work. Add a second low pressure 3psi fuel pump. I have ridden for 1 year including a 5000km trip in south with no issues ever in starting. Clean all fuel filters and when you add secondary pump , you are also adding another fuel filter which can be replaced with a better one.

Hamilton motorsports on eboy sells an aftermarket pump that is good and a direct replacement for the stock pump to fit in the stock internal housing.

Here is my post with pictures on how to solve 99-2000 fuel pump issues for about $50

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/173676-cheap-solution-99-2000-fuel-pump-problems.html#post3069273

BB

Thanks for the replies. I know very little about these bikes. I don't really want to switch out the tank/pump setup. Am I understanding right that a properly sorted 99 will not idle for long, vapor lock in hot temps and be hard to start? Would a stronger pump be more effective? I am not saying it's untrue but I find it hard to believe Suzuki would sell an unreliable bike.

No. Idle was never an issue on any of these bikes. Many owners have the 1999 with no fuel issues. If the bike ran, it idled. Fuel cutting out , bike dying for no reason in hot weather is due to poor design of external pump. That is why it was wrapped in a foam sleeve.

Imagine putting a fuel pump in a furnace, that is what you have in the 1999/2000.

The fuel pump sits behind a hot engine under hot gas. The design was eventually abandoned by Suzuki for good reason.

Vapour lock happens more on a bike with external fuel pump than internal pump.

As I said, a $30 solution and no more fuel issues if you experience any vapour lock/poor fuel delivery in hmid/hot conditions.

YBB

Busabim thanks for your help with this issue. I turned up my idle a bit and it seemed to help - it ran up to the fan coming on with no issues. I have not ridden it yet though. I may still mod the fueling setup if I get vapor lock with it.

My bike has the foam cover completely gone, this is what I will address first.

OK so turning up the idle helped but it did not eliminate the problem. Today with the fuel gauge in the red but no light on it bogged a bit as I accelerated onto the x way. It also stalled after idling a few minutes warming up to leave work.

Not particularly warm out so I suspect it was not a vapor lock issue. Do these bikes run reliably with low fuel? anyone else have a problem once the needle hits red? I am hoping for more range - this seems to leave at least a gallon in there I cannot use.

Any ideas?

Get rid of that dated bs fuel system. It was junk in 99 & 2000. That's why Suzuki went with internal pump set up. You will continue to have problems out of it.

Get rid of that dated bs fuel system. It was junk in 99 & 2000. That's why Suzuki went with internal pump set up. You will continue to have problems out of it.

Not true and a complete waste of money swapping tanks or spending hundreds on a different fuel assembly.

A $50 investment in a second pump and clean filters and new fuel lines and bike will run for years trouble free.

BB

BB

If the TB's are not synched, you will probably get excess vibrations when idle, check the TPS if it's centered -C.
I think you may need to add a secondary pump as Busabim suggested.

OK thanks. My bike does have the Hamilton pump - I just talked with the PO. It is basically new - maybe 200 miles on it. I don't think my bike has been suffering vapor lock - it starves for fuel and idles down and stalls when the fuel level is low.

I can't believe these bikes acted this way when new, something is not right with mine. Anyone got a pic of the hose routing? Maybe I did it wrong.

It is a bit of work but I would always start with fuel assembly on this bike if the fuel lines are all new. The fuel pump filter needs to be checked for gunk and the in line fuel filter as well.

Gravity fed fuel pumps are always an issue that effects fuel delivery at some point. A small disruption in fuel will either burn out your primary pump ( at worst) or stall at best.

If they are clean next try checking the injectors.

It might be worth trying a bottle of quickshot by Amsoil to see if it can clean the fuel system as you do not have to take anything apart to use it.

Ethanol makes the fuel pump holder swell and unusable over a long time.... Please see this excellent post

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/147532-how-diy-1999-2000-step-step-fuel-pump-filter-replacement-no-more-cutting-out.html

BB

Back