Best 'Busa for under $7,000?

milar

Registered
I've got up to $7K to spend on a nice 'Busa. I doubt that will get me a Gen 2 bike.

1. Other than paint, is there a big difference in model years 1999-2007?

2. Are there any "must do" mods I should look for?

Thanks!

M

I've got up to $7K to spend on a nice 'Busa. I doubt that will get me a Gen 2 bike.

Thanks!

M

I believe some of the early ones had problems with the starter motor crapping itself.
Other than that, the "must do" mods for a Gen 1 are: braided lines, DB screen, and The Kickstand Mod.

The original Copper/Champagne colour scheme is still the best, too. If you can find one in stock condition, buy it immediately. They will be a very valuable collector's item, one day.

he knows he can get them for under 7. he wants to know which under 7 is the best to get.

As I said 2005 to 2007 contain the latest of the 1st gen so that would be my aim if 2nd gen was not considered.

Doesn't seem like you can give them away in Sacramento. I doubt if I could get $6K for my '07. To me the Gen I bikes look way better. You will never use near the limits of performance for either bike so it just boils down to whatever floats your boat. I waish I could sell mine but I'm under water thanks to the weasel at PCP Motorsports who conned me into a lousy deal.

Thanks!

M
With some good shopping I would think you could get a gen2 for 7 grand. If you do get a 1st gen though, don't get anything older than 03. 03 and up had the 32 bit ecu, nitrided forks, upgraded starter, intank fuel pump, better clutch, upgraded cam chain tensioner, all the changes through the years put together. Basically just a perfected busa. Not that the earlier bikes were bad, but they just got the first gen completely fine tuned by 03 and up. Bulletproof and reliable as a brick in other words :thumbsup:

05 - 07 are the latest of the 1st gen, only diff between them are color schemes.

The 2003 up models has all the neccessary changes until the Gen II was released in 08. Fuel system, 32 bit ecu, clutch, starter, forks. I believe the only thing you gain after 03 is hazard lights, pass to flash, clear signal lenses, headlight kill on start.

I've been seeing 05 and 06's for $5000 - $5500. They usually have under 10k miles and some cosmetic damage (owner dropped it on the side, tank dent and some fairing scratches).

It wasn't till recently that I found a great deal on an 05. 11k miles, never been dropped, akrapovic full race exhaust, pc3 and a few other things, plus new tires, and a color scheme I like. I've been having a ton of fun riding it :)

The exhaust seems to be quieter than I'd like though (Used to a M4 slipon on the SV650).

If you see a bike ya like, post a link up here on the Org and we'll give it an online once over for ya:thumbsup:

Check the price for insurance also.

I was looking for a gen II & the insurance was going to cost me about 700 year.
06 was 500 ish 03 was 293
for full coverage with 1000 deductable (41 yrars old)

So with that in mind I looked gen 1 & looked at shape & miles over the year
& found my 03 with 6500 miles never down for 4850.00 and under 300 a year for insurance is a nice bonus

IMG_4855.jpg

Last edited:
I'd buy an 05 plus or minus one year. You won't have too many miles, and you get all the new stuff listed.

Stay away from the 99-01, I have one and love it but wish I would have started modding a newer one. (easier to find electronic parts, no big maintenance issues, etc)

I'd try to find one for 5500-6000, then spend the 1500-1000 on some mods. :thumbsup:

Back