bench testing the fuel pump

13K24/7

Registered
---06 Busa Gen1.5---

Plenty of posts out there about fuel pump swaps and DIY maintenance - but before I toss mine in the bin I wanted a sanity check to confirm I wasn't missing something silly:

I pulled my pump since I have a rusted up tank. I planned on just drilling a bypass and adding a filter but first wanted to flush the filter as best as possible by setting up an infinite cycle of 100% isopropyl alcohol and a cheap filter.

Went to plug it in and got no action on the pump:
- Confirmed continuity for the 2 circuits (pump and fuel level sensor).
- Confirmed +12V at the pump during the ECU's priming cycle time-period.
- Thought maybe the prime wouldn't happen if the ECU saw no fuel from the fuel level sensor, so I shorted the circuit and now I have a full tank reading at the instrument panel.

Still no action at the pump! Looks like it's dead, or am I missing something?

PS: The direct gas tank swap into the bike harness yields success, so it shouldn't be the relay.

Black_MC_fuelpump.jpg

Last edited:
You know that the pump is just +and-? So hooking it up to a battery with 2 alliatorclips IN gasoline (never a sec dry) would have done the trick. Your sender unit you measure with a OHM multimeter, only 2 signal wires and just move the sender from left to right, should be smooth readings from left to right .
But this poop would not go in my bike, did someone tank tapwater? there is no cleaining this stuff, so go search ebay, marketplaces, wreckers, and take a good look inside your tank, cause i'll bet that your pump is just a preview.

You know that the pump is just +and-? So hooking it up to a battery with 2 alliatorclips IN gasoline (never a sec dry) would have done the trick. Your sender unit you measure with a OHM multimeter, only 2 signal wires and just move the sender from left to right, should be smooth readings from left to right .
But this poop would not go in my bike, did someone tank tapwater? there is no cleaining this stuff, so go search ebay, marketplaces, wreckers, and take a good look inside your tank, cause i'll bet that your pump is just a preview.
Yeah I assumed so, but couldn't find any specs on the pump online to confirm...so just in case it was still good I went through the hassle vs killing it.

The tank has been pulled for 2 weeks already and cleaned up a lot.
98% of this appears to be ethanol evap from a bad tank seal with many years sitting.
What little rust I could find was on the lip of the petcock (differential metal induced-rust) and the steel bracket for the fuel level sensor shown above.
I'm trying to find a replacement for just the level sensor kit, but if not I can fabricate a new bracket easily enough, and the resistance slider is ohming out for all positions so it's still good.

This setup for pump test was a self contained loop of 100% isopropyl (it doesn't evap like diluted versions) just to confirm if it was dead.
The bike has NOT been started since last known good condition, thank god!
FI line looks great, screens and injectors are clean and spray perfectly. Valve lap is still good and cylinders look barely broken in.

Will update with photos soon.

Figured while I was at it, might as well check the rest of the fuel rail and injectors... then figured I'd look at the Valves:

Here's a before and after of the top of the valves. I believe it was attempted to start and got flooded without turning over - hence the deposition - but not certain. Most of the buildup was very thin layer except for piston #1.
black_valve_beforeafter.jpg

injector_cleaner.jpg

Here's an injector booger - random since the rest of them sprayed really clean.

injector_booger.jpg

Here's the only stuff that flushed from all 4
injector flush.jpg

Here's the sparkplug while I'm at it...These are cr9eix gapped to 300/1000 inch. I know the IX iridiums run hot so the black carbon deposits don't seem too big of a deal - especially when the arch points look so clean.
cr93ix_plug.jpg

If you made it this far, here's a low res GIF of the high speed video of the injector spraying...I can link full video if anyone wants it in the future.
injector_spray.gif

Back