beemer brakes

Blue1

Registered
Question for you late model beemer riders:

The bike is an '03 (I think) RS1150 with the power-assisted brakes and a "brake failure" light is being displayed on the dash.

What is the common problem with these over-engineered brakes when this happens?

The bike is owned by the widow of my buddy who passed away earlier this year. I haven't seen it since this happened, she had someone out on a test ride and when it came back, that warning was lit.

I presume that the brakes would behave like power-assisted brakes in cars and lose 90% of their braking power when the power assist goes out.

I also know that I wouldn't be too keen to ride the bike in that condition.

I don't want Joanne to get hosed by the dealer, if someone can give me a little background on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Blue

I rode a new k1200r like that and it just needs to be checked and be sure fluid levels are up.

sometimes the abs module does go out;if the light does not go out after you get up to about 25mph it needs to go to the dealer

friend of mine has 2 of the same bikes , one wrecked on replacement . its the absmodule , he rode it like that for a few years its about 1500 dollars for the module there is a way to reset the light with a paperclip , check the bmw boards dor that info , if need be i can call him and get the how to , i think the problem was a bad seal on the abs module , moisture leaks in and light comes on , when light is on , no abs light off abs is workin , when he reset it sometimes it would stay off for a week other times it was a block . i think he found a rebuilt one from some where in cali but they are real hard to come by
good luck

Back