Battery- Charge or Get New

samurai1833

Registered
Hey I gotta a basic question but I want some input.

I've got a 1999 Busa with an original battery. It has died on two short trips.

I own a charger that I can hook up regularly with no problem. Is it worth it to maintain the old battery or should I just spend the $70 bucks for a new one?

<!--EDIT|samurai1833
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091455535 -->

get a new one
and if you are not going to ride oyour bike for a while
(say more than 2 weeks) i would but the battery on a
battery tender (trickle charge)

I agree. Haven't had much success charging a bike battery and wound up buying a new one anyway.

I have a '00 and mine was dead this spring charging didn't seen to matter it would just die again. So I went to dealers no one had one, so I had to order and they were on back order for weeks. So I went to auto parts dealer I know and had him load test it which it died almost instantly. So being the nice guy he is he put it on a high quick charge just so I could start it and it has worked ever since about a month now.
Wicked.

When lead acid batts get really flat they will het high levels of sulphates on the plates, a real high, fast charge can reverse some of this but basically the batt is stuffed.

If you can get some extra life out of it thats great but just remember it could let you down at any time. I'd be ready to get a new one or have one on order now.

Remember, prices only go up and you can happily leave your new batt on a battery tender for several months untill the old batt falls over.

Just a thought

Cheers
Ross
biggrin.gif

GET a new battery. It has lasted longer then it should. Also I plug my battery into a tender after every long ride. So you should at least do it once a week. Get a gel battery orat least inclosed.

I plug mine in a tender, but i agree with all above-- if it failed me at all I would replace with a new one.

Back