Possible Battery Problem?

TylerFroese31

Registered
Hello,

My dad gave me his 2004 Busa and because of work and being busy I haven't been able to use it very much. I would go and start it and drive it around for a bit so the gas didn't settle. Last year the battery died so I went and bough a new one, ever since then it has had troubles starting. I thought is was the battery but when I hooked the battery up to a charger it read that it was 100 percent charged. Also, when I turn the power on and pull the clutch or break in the speed gauge and RPM gauge shoot up to about halfway, when I let go of the clutch or break they drop back down. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

2004 Red LE Stock. Not one thing has been modified or altered. Previous owner stored it outside a few times (Which I would never have done) so maybe just some wear'n'tear on some wires?

When you turn the key on your bike, the gauges cycle as part of the self test; it is possible to buy a bad battery new... best bet would be to have it load tested. Leaving it outside for that long, you should also pul all the fairings and look at al your connections for broken wires, corrosion, etc...

Im familiar with the initial self test, what has me worried is that after that self test when I grab the clutch or break the gauges move in accordance. IE- Pull clutch in for five seconds RPM and speed needles will hold until i let go. Im going to check it front to back in the next week or so, I was just hoping someone might have an idea as to whats going on :/

A quick check would be to pull the cluster and reseat the connector... make sure nothing is in there...
It is very strange that pulling in either the clutch or the brake would affect the cluster...

I could see the clutch more so than the brake...the brake is what really has me stumped. The clutch is joined with the electrical system for starting process....not allowing it to start without the clutch pulled in. Not the case in the brake....very strange.

I'm guessing this happens when the bike is at a stationary position, right? what happen when you ride?
Seems like you're getting a power surge from rectifier / alternator, check your connectors on the rectifier for any shorts as well as if the ground wire is clean with no rust.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: Very strange problem. The ECU drives the gauges. I don't think you get much noise out of a 12 VDC system. :dunno:

Dump the old fuel and put some fresh in as far as the trouble starting / running

I've never heard of this problem before . Maybe Goldenchild or Johnny Cheese will know

Sounds like the handlebar switches may need attention, it's been outside, and corrosion inside the switches is a strong possibility.

Back