Base gasket question

I have a question...
Do I still need the thicker .080" Base Gasket spacer if I'm already installing lower compression Wossner 9:1 ratio turbo pistons?
:)

@busanostra

usually the standard base gasket (made of paper) are installed dry.

the same applies in principle to the aluminum spacers when converting to a turbo.

but you have to make 100% sure that both sealing surfaces are spotless - i always say clean like in the surgery room.

there is not the smallest piece of dirt allowed on the surfaces , otherwise a leak in the form of oil mist can occur in the future on the outside of the engine.

absolute cleanliness is even more important here than with all the other work on the engine.

there should also be no scratches on ALL sealing surfaces, means
neither on cylinder & trans.-housing nor in both sides of the .080" alu (base) gasket

if scratches can be seen, or even felt with the thumb nail,
a sealant such as e.g. the SUZUKI BOND "1207B" is absolutely necessary to avoid oilmist in the future.

the application of the SUZUKI BOND "1207B" should then be done 1:1 analogous to the gearbox mating surface (see manual page 3-96) - espacially watch the drawing around the screw holes and wher the "BOND" is drawn.
If you want to be sure that the surfaces are spotless, it is best to use an oil whetstone (together with engine oil) with a grit of 4000 (see oilstone example)
this at all 4 surfaces
zylinder / trans.-housing & both sides of the .080" alu (base) gasket

Back