Bar End Weights..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
How do you get the screws out? Just as on my ZRX the factory has spared nothing on Lock-Tite to keep them in. I have heard of heating the screw heads (why couldn't they have used Allens?) with a soldering iron, using a hammer impact driver, even drilling the heads of the screws off and using vice grips on the shank.
Putting new grips on it and they have to come off. Ideas?

That hard eh? I just ordered bar ends.
lurk.gif

When I changed mine, they were also in pretty tight,
I took a screw driver and a hammer, put the screw driver in place on the head of the screw and gave it a couple of wacks with the hammer before even trying to turn the screw.
The force of the hammer strikes helped loosen up the threads and then I was able to turn the screws.'

Mine were on like they were welded- I heated carefully and used an manual impact tool and had to wack the living shite out of it. Screw took a little beating so I'll replace it w/ an allen head screw.

I stripped one side of mine and after a might battle (with a lot of omph), I got it out.

Had a back up replacement set of screws to go in.

I just put on throttlemiesters and used a standard p3 screwdriver and some elbow grease, came out easy. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
super.gif

I have a hard time keeping mine tight. I want to replace my grips too.

turn the bar end at the same time you remove the screw. it helps

(Shibumi @ Sep. 14 2007,16:10) Mine were black Allen screws, came out no problem.

Isn't that stock?  
rock.gif
Nope, at least on mine big 'ol Phillips heads.
sad.gif
In there with a teaspoon of red Lock-Tite on each one.
mad.gif

In the morning I'll see if I can warm them up a little with a soldering iron and work them loose with a screwdriver and hammer.
Thanks everyone!

(Pipefighter248 @ Sep. 14 2007,20:55)
(ranman @ Sep. 14 2007,17:13) turn the bar end at the same time you remove the screw.  it helps
+1
+2...........Grap yourself a rubber canning jar opener from the kitchen. With a good grip you shouldn't even need the screwdriver.

Of course I only stumpled across this after stripping one side out and having to drill out the end of the screw, once the preasure was released what was left of the screw twisted out by hand.
crazy.gif

Impact driver - but be gentle. (Did I put "impact driver" and "gentle" in the same sentence?
laugh.gif
)

i just put on a set of throttle misters
still need to adjust them seam to be a tad finicky
i sprayed mine with some WD40 the night before
and i got lucky
a #3 philips screw driver and a little tap from a hammer and they came right out

When I changed mine to throttlemeisters, I just used a little MANLY MUSCLE. And after that didn't work, I had my wife unscrew it
laugh.gif

Really, mine came off with very little trouble, that's what's wrong with all those power drivers at the factory. One slip on the torque setting and WAMMO, you've got trouble  
beerchug.gif

(ranman @ Sep. 14 2007,17:13) turn the bar end at the same time you remove the screw.  it helps
I can't believe it took that long for someone to post the right solution in my opionion.

Back