T25 star screws on ignition switch

sk8snw8s

Registered
I'm changing my triple tree and have run into the devil of a time getting the one T25 star screw out since they put lock-tite on the threads. One was hard but manage to come out the other one won't budge. Now I have kinda stripped it trying to get it out. Any one else who has change out their ignition switch run into this problem of hard to get out star screws. Looks like i'm gonna have to take a dremel to the that side now to separate the tree from that screw.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was going to tell you to use a dremel but it sounds like you got it covered already. I hate it when crap like that messes up a simple install.

A dremel on what? The oem triple tree?
If so why not use an easy out on the screw itself so as to preserve the tree?

You can also take a allen the will almost fit in and tap it in with a hammer and turn that way. Sometimes a flat head screw driver will work if it is slightly bigger and tap in a bit. If that doesn't work Blanca Busa stated an easy out which should be the next attempt.

I used a T40 to get mines out? Didnt have a problem, not sure if they use different size screws in each triple tree? I have an 09?

Thanking all for any suggestions, I will try the allen and screw driver but remember these star screws has that little keyed bit sticking up in the middle of the star portion so the star bit u use has a hole to go over that bit piece.

Yep, I used a T40 star bit with the little hole in it, had no problems. Bought it from NAPA Auto Parts for $6 bucks and some change.

Edit error T40 is the bit or driver used on removing this screw. It isn't fully stripped out and I sprayed it last night with some WD-40, will this desolve some of that lock-tite?
If not, then easy out or dremel gonna have to come out.

Can you put the T-40 bit in an impact screwdriver and give it a couple of whacks? From working on old Landcruisers, the impact screwedriver has saved me many, many times...

Jonny

Can you put the T-40 bit in an impact screwdriver and give it a couple of whacks? From working on old Landcruisers, the impact screwedriver has saved me many, many times...

Jonny
Impact driver was my recommendation too. But first use a round faced ball peen hammer to mash in the head of the screw, then use just the impact bit with the hammer to tap in a new form for the bit to bite on, and then go with the impact driver. Good luck!

Impact driver was my recommendation too. But first use a round faced ball peen hammer to mash in the head of the screw, then use just the impact bit with the hammer to tap in a new form for the bit to bite on, and then go with the impact driver. Good luck!

You know what they say about great minds :beerchug:

Jonny

I just add some heat on any bolt that has been red locktited before I try and get it out. I think I threw a pipe extension on the end of the allen key for some extra leverage.

Drum Roll Please :cheerleader: TAA DAA, This was the Nemsis giving me the Blues on the left with tones of lock-tite soak around the screw. ::11, After around 45 min to 1 hr of Dremeling and hack sawing, results to whipping it's *&%*:spank: Once the tree was off 20 min later success.:thumbsup: I likey.
Thanks for your help Org.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Back