Bang for the buck performance help?

NuclearMJ

Registered
I've got an 05 busa with yoshi slip ons (quiet cores removed) and a K&N filter, im going to remove the pair valve system and install a power commander, is there much else i can do for added power without spending a fortune building the motor or adding a turbo?

Also im not interested in doing the airbox mod, ill just say that before someone suggests it. Thanks

Actually no. You can go to a full exhaust which is worth 5-10 hp with a dyno tune. Past that I think you can work with the gearing to max the performance to the kind of riding you do. You can also lighten the bike, but there aren't big gains there either. Other than that there are just little things unless you want to go into the engine.

Have the ecu flashed, that'll wake the bike up.
PM Murderedout07, he runs a shop in Texas and can flash it for you.

Flash the ecu and then have the bike custom dyno tuned with your powercommander. POWERHOUSE can turn your ecu around in
one day, if you want.:laugh:

What exactly is being done with an ecu flash? I understand thats the best way to lose the speed limiter, which is good cause i want to hit 200 at some point "on a closed course" of course.

:google:......

There is literally a hundred threads on hayabusa ecu flash :whistle:

Certain website/shops offer the service as well. Take a few minutes and read up on the subject. You'll see all the benefits and opinions from people that have done it.

And I got bad news..... with out tearing into the motor and upgrading everything, adding nitrous or a turbo you won't sniff 200mph on a "closed circuit course" on a Gen1 busa with a slip on pipe and a few common mods. Despite what people assume or read on their inaccurate speedometer going 200mph legitimately is not a walk in the park :whistle:

And if you think I'm blowing smoke take a look at some of our members busa's who do Land speed racing events that have hit 200mph+ and got the time slips to prove it. They are all pushing some serious HP via Turbo, Big Bore, etc.

:google:......
There are literally a hundred threads on hayabusa ecu flash :whistle:

ECU Flashing

Ability to view all sensors data with a laptop connected
Ability to datalog all factory sensors on the motorcyle with a laptop connected for use in dyno tuning.
Ability to change fueling maps (both IAP and TPS maps), ram air compensation
Ability to change ignition maps (you can add timing in the lower gears like a TRE does without messing up your gear based fuel curves)
Increase your factory rev limiter (current software supports up to 11,650 RPM, more RPM is possible)
Remove the 6th gear speed restriction with the click of a button
Change ram air compensation based on your gearing
Compensate for larger fuel injectors needed for high hp applications
Compensate for increased fuel pressure needed for high hp applications
Increase ignition dwell time (turbo guys will like being able to open the plug gap back up some)
Disable IAT compensation for dyno testing
Turn your ECU into an ignition / fuel kill box for use with an air/co2 shifter
Control a shift light, or any RPM based output using the stock flapper valve circuit
Switch-able map selection for NOS, different turbo boost levels, fuel types etc
Share maps with people across the world and contribute to new exciting features constantly being introduced and implemented.

Thanks Kromdom this was very informative. Looks like a ecu flash and a dyno tune once my power commander gets here should do wonders for the busa.

I am not sure why your against the small airbox mod.......but when your talking free HP, that along with a good filter is the next best thing you can do to a Gen I after gearing and exhaust. And after modding the bike further, its a necessity to get the most out of other mods.

If you are worried about rideability such as a bog or miss like was common with the old Powercommanders, consider having a ECU flash tune which will rectify that. Loss of low-end performance from it? Again, a good ECU tune will fix that as well. You may reconsider your position on doing an airbox mod.

Just my 2 pesos.

I am not sure why your against the small airbox mod.......but when your talking free HP, that along with a good filter is the next best thing you can do to a Gen I after gearing and exhaust. And after modding the bike further, its a necessity to get the most out of other mods.

If you are worried about rideability such as a bog or miss like was common with the old Powercommanders, consider having a ECU flash tune which will rectify that. Loss of low-end performance from it? Again, a good ECU tune will fix that as well. You may reconsider your position on doing an airbox mod.

Just my 2 pesos.

Dynojet rectified an issue they were having with the old PCs by adding another TP column between 10% and 20% with the PCIIIusb and PCVs. This 15% TP column helped a tuner rectify an "off throttle" issue bikes were having (especially the Busa) early on. However, even the old PCs can be tuned properly to make this issue completely disappear. It is not about ecu tuning or PC tuning, or whatever method you choose, it is about tuning properly, period. I do, however, agree with you about doing a small box mod on Gen 1s, even though the OP is against it. :laugh:

Yea I hadn't used a PC since my 2001 and that was the crappy PC2. I remembered doing a lot of work to get that hesitation out and get as smooth as possible. I just find the ECU Editor tuning easier to tune with finer adjustments.

Airbox mod! Go team!

Back