BAD NEWS

Creekboy

Registered
My adjuster contacted me a few minutes ago, he talked with the dealership and they discussed the issues with the bike and what the cost would be. My Insurance company says if repairs exceed 65% of the average cost of my bike then they will total it. As it stands my insurance is allowing me only 8000 dollars for the bike. I have almost 14,000 in it with all the chrome.....this sucks
sad.gif
The estimate given was 5250.00 to fix it. So Im S O L as they say...not sure what to do at this point...any ideas Mick

mad.gif

I'm sorry Mick...no ideas...I've never been through an ordeal like this...
sad.gif

I guess all I have is a check for 8 grand to work with, plus I can buy the bike back not sure of the price yet. Or should I just put it down on a new one and finance the rest.....help me Michelle...<wink> could I like rent yours...lol think not..lol

I guess all I have is a check for 8 grand to work with, plus I can buy the bike back not sure of the price yet. Or should I just put it down on a new one and finance the rest.....help me Michelle...<wink> could I like rent yours...lol think not..lol
Hrmmm, with as little riding as I seem to squeeze in, why not?!
tounge.gif

I'll rent it out cheap and expect all $$$ to go toward mods on Caesar...man, my Busa is going to look sweet!
tounge.gif

I'm afraid it does sound like you'll be cutting your losses on this one...is there some type of "carrier" insurance you can get to cover the pricey mods next time around? I'm clueless (like I needed to actually SAY that)...I've always just owned "average" rides, and have average coverage...
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Hey, I just went and re-read your crash thread and pics.....How is that bike totalled? I don't get it.

Because the engine substained major damage, broke the casing as well as the clutch basket, and the chrome swingarm is bent, not to mention the rear and front cogs destroyed. Michelle, I had a 1500.00 add on for all custom parts for the bike , but even at that....I lost this one..

Normally you can buy the bike back for $300-$500.  Then you can fix it up cheaper yourself than a dealer would charge.  However, if you don't trust a post crash bike or just don't want a post crash bike, then put the $8000 minus your deductible on a new one.

Remember if you buy it back, it'll be on a salvage title and the only way to get it fully insured again is to fix it to like new conditions(they'll normally inspect it).

You could try haggeling with the insurance company to just take $.01 under the total value.  Which is what,  $5199. 8000 X 65%. I'd really try to swing that deal its only a little less than your estimate.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122993255 -->

Normally you can buy the bike back for $300-$500.  Then you can fix it up cheaper yourself than a dealer would charge.  However, if you don't trust a post crash bike or just don't want a post crash bike, then put the $8000 minus your deductible on a new one.

Remember if you buy it back, it'll be on a salvage title and the only way to get it fully insured again is to fix it to like new conditions(they'll normally inspect it).
+1....good luck

My opinion, buy it back from the insurance company, take the remaining cash from the settlement and finance a new one. Spend the winter and a few hundred fixing your original bike with used parts, (You got a set of mirrors already lol) sell it and pay off the new one. Even with a salvaged title, you can slap a decent coat of paint on it and it'll sell.

Let us know what you decide. Maybe buy it back and build it up over time and use the rest of the money for a new '06. Sorry this happened to ya, Mick.

With that kind of damage to the motor and swing arm I would not buy it back. It will end up costing you more to fix it than you can get for it, IMO. Don't just take what they offer especially if you have additional coverages for your extras. If they say it is worth "X" tell them to F off and have it appraised by your own guy and then go after them for more. They will low ball you everytime. Just remember that their job is to settle with you as fast as possible and for as little money as possible, everytime. That is a fact and if you don't forget it you will be in a better position to come out on top.
smile.gif

next time you customize one... be sure to take the reciepts to the insurance and have them include that expense into the coverage.. it'll cost a bit more.. but worth it.. as you've just found out.

your bike didn't look all that bad... and it's not like you don't know a good painted.. haha..

buy it back.. fixer back up get yer motor runnin' and head out on the highway. Look for adventure.. in whatever comes your way..

cuz uh.. ain't nothing gonna make it happen.. take the world in a love embrace.. just fire all your guns at once and explode into space..

ya know.. I like smokin' lightning... heavy metal thunder.. racin with the wind..

ya know.. the usual.

ehh.. haha.

this post greatly influenced by steppenwolf

If you can buy it back cheap enough, buy a new one, then take the old one down and rebuild it as a dragbike!!!

Might do ok buying it back just to recoup some of the custom stuff that is still usable. Depends on what they want for it. That would be assuming you buy another bike to use it on, or can part it out.

Really sux Mick, I didn't think it was hurt that bad from the initial pics. What other major damage is there besides engine, swingarm?

Mick,  Buy it back.  Take the rest of the money and buy a new one.  Spend the winter swapping what you can salvage off the old one onto the new one.  Then sell the old carcass to the boneyard.

Sebnd your insurance receipts for any extra stuff you had on it. Mine usually takes this into consideration when they figure out what to pay me.

Then buy it back and fix it. Either sell it or ride it until you decide to get a new bike.

If nothing else, parts sell well on EbayI think....buy it back, part it out and go get a new bike with the cash!

Good luck!

Bronc.....it broke the water pump casing, push rod from shifter inside engine, clutch piston was broke, front cog destroyed , bearings, outer casing of clutch assembly, clutch line cut into, radiator reserve busted, chain destroyed, rear cog, swingarm bent, cush drives messed up, crack in lower casing on bike. And Im alive..???

Same thing happened to me . I bought my bike back for $1040. . and used the money left over to get another bike . Now i'm almost done putting the old bike back together. When your bike is totaled you will be asked if you want to buy it back from the insurance co. if not ask . You can fix it alot cheaper by yourself . I Did!

Back