bad battery??

2teeth

Registered
please help!! hello my name is steve, I'm a speedaholic, I have a 1999busa with 32000miles, had some trouble with booging, thought maybe the fuel filter, had that
done, not the problem, put in a new battery ran like it should, next day the battery was dead, is this a ground somewhere,
or maybe a generator,alternator, where are (is) these and how can I check them, is there something I can check that holds the charge!! Thanks for your support!!

If the battery is new. Check and clean your connections again. I do not think it would be anything else. have you been riding at very high speed? If so you can over Amp the battery? Any signs of batter acid uround the swing arm?

Most likely the new battery did not get time to charge. Should have at least an hour for a no maint. battery. Best to have about 3 hours...

No no signs of acid on the battery, battery was charged for a good 4 hours, didn't get a chance to run hard ,just around
town, talked with the dealer today in dallas, said it could be a voltage regulator, going to bring it to the shop thursday, I have no choise,not unless,someone out there might know how I can check things. Thanks

No good idea first. Just get htem to put a meter on the bike to see if it is charging. Not likely that it is the volt reg, could be the connections to it though. Good luck, let us know what you find.

I had the same problem on my 99 today. I started it this morning just fine and cruised over to drop off my old jacket at my parents house. Bike sat for about 5 mins completely off. I went to leave and the starter would kick over for a split second and then die. The battery is only 4 months old though. The connections are clean and no acid.

2Teeth, what did the dealership find out about yours? I had about the same mileage as you 3600 miles.

Is this the first time you guys are riding your bikes this season?
rock.gif
My 99 has 2500 miles on it and I learned my lesson after 2 batteries. You cant treat these bikes like old ones(namely my old 92 GSXR1100) I bought a battery tender and leave the bike plug into it whenever it sits in the garage. Since then I dont go through batteries anymore and it always fires on the first shot. Get the ones that have the harness you can connect to the battery cables and quick connect as soon as you get home. Also get one that has a a very slow trickle rate( i think mine is .8 amps) and it monitors itself for overcharging.

I ride the bike everyday, it was fine yesterday and this morning when I first started it. I rode it for about 10 mins then shut it off for 5 mins and it wouldn't restart. The battery is only 4 months old and the connections look clean. I put the charger on it to see what happens. I just hope it won't strand me somewhere.

Nope, it is 4 months old and has been working great up until the last few days, but it has always started.

Hey gixxer i have 32000 miles on the busa,this will be my 2nd battery,since new,Iguess you could say I do ride her alot 3 to four times a week , and I also have a harley that I ride 3 to 4 times a week with 20000 miles. headed to the shop thursday
it'll be in for a few days, when I know I'll let you all know! Hope it'll be able to help!!

Hey gixxer i have 32000 miles on the busa,this will be my 2nd battery,since new,Iguess you could say I do ride her alot 3 to four times a week , and I also have a harley that I ride 3 to 4 times a week with 20000 miles. headed to the  shop thursday
it'll be in for a few days, when I know I'll let you all know! Hope it'll be able to help!!
2teefus,

I hope your screen name is referring to teeth added or removed from a sprocket and not how many you have in your mouth!

( :

One other possibility...........

Did you look at the battery its self? Sometimes in the summer months you can boil a battery......
Especially with the heat this monster put off! Just a thought.

same problem with my 6 month old busa, the battery has died 3 times in a month. It's in the shop now and I'm wondering if a new battery will help. From what I'm reading....it doesn't sound like it. I'll keep you posted.

I can rule out heat as a factor since the bike only ran for 10 mins at the most in 65 degree weather. I put the bike on the charger for about 7 hours and it started up fine. I didn't ride yesterday but came out this morning and she started up the first time with no troubles. I just don't get what is going on here. Is this maybe a problem only with 99's?

yes Oracle, I's gots all my teefe!!! Brought the busa in friday
to the shop, I had a brand new battery in it , so I hope i can rule out the battery!!
sarcasm.gif

ok got mine back Friday night and here's what they say. The busa pulls lots of juice, and the alternator doesnt kick in until he bike is over 5k rpms. My daily commute is about 20miles. Not enought time for ther battery to charge but long enough to kill it. Solution....trickle charge the battery at night, Every night?

That is interesting, I guess the solution is to ride the whole way to work in 1st gear. That will let me concentrate on hitting the apexes and stop worrying about what gear I am in
smile.gif
My commute is only 4-5 minutes in the morning so the bike doesnt get too warmed up and I don't rev her very high for the first half of the trip. I guess I need to move farther away from my job.

Yea i thought that was horse poop to. What i've done is reverted to connecting my battery to a trickle charger at night. We'll see how that works, since at highway speeds of 90 brings me to 48k rpm's...or should i just push it to 110
rock.gif

Hmmmm i thought the alt kicked in at 3500rpm??? But then i'm no mechanic. However one of the things I do is run it in third at highway speeds to keep the battery charged. And to be honest I like the kick and responsiveness the bike has in lower gears and and higher rpms. To be honest I don't think this beast is ever gonna charge a battery in 5th or 6th gear on an in town commute.

Back