Back pressure ?

bbbsleeper

Registered
I was looking on this thread and I want to do this exhaust mod. Can some with great knowledge answer this.

Thread link:    

I want to do this mod very badly, I take my can's off the bike and start it and it makes my heart stop, it sounds incredible, but I don't know all about back pressure and stuff like that.  Won't the engine need the back pressure, then I kind of don't think so.  I looked this guys new 10r and he had micron exhaust on it and it was straight through. please help.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086658513 -->

Does anyone know?
blush.gif

DSCN1351.JPG

"needing" back pressure is one of the myths that never seems to die. You will lose some low end torque w/o the back pressure, but you're never going to make more HP with restrictions than you would w/o.

If you like this mod, go for it. You're not going to ruin anything.

You do want to have some degree of back pressure. And with no pressure you can burn your valves.

But I am in no way saying that you should not do this.
I am a firm believer that loud bikes save lives.
But don’t run open header or remove all the packing (just most!)

This "mod" should not just be done to the stock pipes but also to aftermarkets as well. Many people don’t know this but even "full race" pipes like my ti Akaro have to conform to DOT SPL limits. Meaning that they are stuffed to the hilt with heavy azz packing. The first thing I did was to drill the rivets, pop off the end remove about 75% of the packing and re rivet the can. It looks 100% factory but sounds like an Indy car. It is not so loud to bother the neighbors when driving the speed limit but can easily make someone on the sidewalk jump if zipped to 10K.

If you have not done this to your aftermarket pipe, go buy a rivet gun at home depot and do it, if you could only hear my bike you would understand why.

Back