Oil Pressure

What kind of oil pressure do you guys have at idle after the bike has warmed up? The reason I ask is that I am putting a busa into my sandrail and the oil pressure is at 15psi when it first starts up and then drops all the way to 1-2psi after the motor is up to operating temp. I can't believe that this would be normal. The pressure does increase when I rev it up, but drops right back down to nothing when at idle. If this is wrong would a new oil pump solve the problem? Please advise.

Thanks,

Derek

BA BUSA

MotoGP Wannabe
Donating Member
Registered
That doesn't sound good
sad.gif
we don't have a oil pressure gauge...just a light for low pressure  
rock.gif

had a gauge on all of mt turbo bikes . they all did that and i never had a motor failure . its normal . mine would sit around 30-40 psi cold at idle then drop to nothing . with rpm it could climb as high as 80 psi . put in the ape oil pump gear and dont sweat it .

guido4512

Donating Member
Registered
(dlisabeth @ Sep. 11 2006,22:50) What kind of oil pressure do you guys have at idle after the bike has warmed up?  The reason I ask is that I am putting a busa into my sandrail and the oil pressure is at 15psi when it first starts up and then drops all the way to 1-2psi after the motor is up to operating temp.  I can't believe that this would be normal.  The pressure does increase when I rev it up, but drops right back down to nothing when at idle.  If this is wrong would a new oil pump solve the problem?  Please advise.

Thanks,

Derek
We need pics, please....................................

That is very typical oil pressure at idle for the Hayabusa with a full heat soak on the engine. The APE gear will help and raise the oil pressure to around 10 # at idle depending on what oil weight you are using. If your not racing the engine then you probably don't need to do any oil system modifications.

Racetrack14