Back Pain

Im 27 had the surgery 3 years ago L4,L5,S1 and a buldge at L3 been good for a while now had a bunch of shots was awake for most of them and it made it worse for the surgery cause it built up alot of scar tissue so be carefull about those shots man good luck
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif

Get some Naproxen... Look into an inversion table... Read read read. Surgery is not the answer MOST of the time. I have the same situation. It comes and goes with fitness. It is a commonly known fact that many people will experience periodic back pain throughout their lives. Keep your spine stretched and unloaded. Avoid spine compressing exercises and try to do a lot of walking as the action alternates the erector spinae muscles for balance and swells them up causing the bulges in the discs to be pushed back into place. Try it.. It works.
You will learn a lot about doing "Planks" and building up your core strength. Good luck.. It will be a painful journey but once you learn how to manage it you'll see how easy it is.

herniated L3 L4 L5 discs when i was 16 doing squats. ive had the steroid injections and they do help. the whole purpose of them is to disolve the herniation that is comppessing on the nerves on your spine. i havent had a shot now in over 7 years and i occassionally re-aggrivate the injury. physical thereapy will help and so will strengthening your core muscle group. btw... planks suck but they sure do a fine job as a good core exercise!

Thanks for all of the advise everyone , I am making plans to see a therapist on Saturday & going in on Monday to get 2 Epidural steroid Injections to get an early jump on things.
thumb_up.gif

Dang, Bob! Sorry to hear.
sad.gif

I hope you can make it to the MnG, but you need to take care of yourself, first! Besides, your back needs to be better so you can help out with the little one.
winkold.gif

Chiropractors can be saviors or demons. A good one will tell you if he/she can't do anything. Definitely research physical therapy options - exercises and stretches. Surgery really should be a last resort...always.

So sorry to hear about the back problems...been there, done that for 3+ years, tons of PT and drugs, and finally an epidural then surgery to fix the herniated disc...I'm nearly 3 years from that surgery and doing much better, finally...

Just do what the docs say, and if that's not working, find another doc! Take care of yourself
smile.gif

I talked to Bob last night and you can hear the pain in his voice. I plan on going out to his place on Saturday to help him around the house...I told him I would mow his grass and do anything he needed help with....I think we are going to work on his bike a lil also...he said his brakes are acting strange...so I think we are going to try and bleed them to see if that helps....

Good on ya, Rusty! The kids have soccer and baseball, but if I get the chance, I'll see if I can swing up that way...

Rusty & Omar , Thanks to both for the offers to help me out. My oldest son will be mowing the yard. I will take a hand on Bleeding the Brakes though. You are both Welcome at my house anytime. I owe you both big time!!
beerchug.gif

Good luck NK. BTDT and still dealing with it. The disc will not heal. It doesn't have enough blood supply going to it for the healing process. The cortizone injections can help bring relief by reducing inflamation of the tissue around the nerves. If the herniation is pushing the spinal cord againts the lamina it may require surgery. If you feel phantom pain in your legs you may have too much damage for the cortizone to help.

I talked to Bob last night and you can hear the pain in his voice.  I plan on going out to his place on Saturday to help him around the house...I told him I would mow his grass and do anything he needed help with....I think we are going to work on his bike a lil also...he said his brakes are acting strange...so I think we are going to try and bleed them to see if that helps....
thumb_up.gif

Bob, sorry to hear your having back trouble. I have had it off and on for years and it's no fun. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I can do your anchors on your trailer Sunday if you want, just let me know. Hope your feeling better.

Hal , I probably wouldn't be much help doing the trailer. Having problems with getting to low right now. I will help you anyway possible if you want to do it. Sunday is wide open for me. Rusty was thinking about stopping by Saturday to help me Bleed my front brakes ( Hanging up a little bit ).
thumb_up.gif

Hal , I probably wouldn't be much help doing the trailer. Having problems with getting to low right now. I will help you anyway possible if you want to do it. Sunday is wide open for me. Rusty was thinking about stopping by Saturday to help me Bleed my front brakes ( Hanging up a little bit ).
thumb_up.gif
I hate not being able to bend over. happens to me daily but with much less pain than you

I had the same L4 L5 disk problem and lived on vicoden for 2 years and finaly had surgery to fix it. Still not 100% but could keep taking the pills any longer.

NO CHIROPRATIC with a herniated disc. It won't help, and it can make the pain much worse if the disc is touching the spinal cord.

im right there with you. ive got herniations in l-3,4,5 and s-1. physical therapy all the way man. not just for the short term pain but as a way of life. im not saying go all the time. go a couple times and have them show you the exercises you need to do. your back will never be 100% and you will have bad weeks but with proper exercise an\d stretching you'll befine. im now looking into decompression therapy which has promising results

Back