B-King observations

bacon1

Registered
So I've got nearly 400 miles on my new King in the last week and a half and here's my observations so far. I'm 6'3" 215 and I've been riding for 15yrs on road bikes. My last two bikes were a Kawi Z1000 and an 07 Yami Fz1000. The BK is much smoother than the Fz which was really "surgy" when on the gas, it was more like a toggle switch. The Fz was fairly comfortable but was a little buzzy in the footpegs on long rides. The Z was a great looking bike IMO but seemed to really blast me with wind. On the Z I was constantly fighting to keep my knees together from the wind, and on long hauls it was very uncomfortable. The handlebars on the Z really buzzed and I ended up filling them with lead shot which helped a lot. I was happy with the power of both previous bikes.
So I got the BK and really expected it to seem heavy but I was really surprised! Except for in parking lots and under 25mph it really handles very light when driving. I was super happy with how well it deflected the wind and on the expressway large wind blasts nearly moved the bike where the other two would blow around like crazy. Other than the pegs being too high and my knees hitting the intake wings I have no complaints about the ergo's. With my feet on the pegs there was absolutely zero buzz, although if my heels touched the sides of the bike I could feel a little. The handlebars were comfortable, after an hour and 40 min on the expressway I did finally start to feel my fingers getting numb from hanging on for that long. The power on the bike is amazing, it feels slower up to triple digits over my other bikes but it's really not! The power is so smooth and the gears seem much more stretched out so it seems like your going much slower than you really are. I haven't opened it up too far yet, but my buddy took it for a ride, he also has an Fz1000 and he said it was a ton faster on top end. I'm shocked how nice this bike is, I am blown away!
I was given a rear facing backup camera for a car as a gift and it's been sitting in my garage. I decided to ditch my mirrors and hooked it up, hiding all the wires so now I have a small screen on the handlebars which acts as my mirrors. I know it's kind of pointless but it was fun to hook up and it looks cool with no mirrors. I still need to fab up the mount for the screen right now it's zip tied on. I heard all about the buell peg mod and decided to do that too. Take my advice, buy the pre-made kit on here, finding the right bushing has been a nightmare and the pegs I got had to be ground down slightly before they would even fit. I have them on but I'm still working on finding a better bushing for it, I should have spent the extra $30 and got the kit, oh well live and learn. I must say though lowering the pegs that small amount is a HUGE difference! My knees have tons of room now, and completely fit under the scoops with room to spare.
I must say I've always loved yamaha stuff and this is my first suzuki. I am seriously blown away at how great this bike is! I could live without the huge exhaust coming out the back and a better name than "B King" would be nice, but man I can't believe they are discontinuing this bike! It must be the love/hate looks thing because everyone of my buds who have ridden this now want one!

bacon, congrats on the BK. It is mind-numbing knowing that Suzuki might not produce this bike any longer. What a waste of R&D money.

Lots of aftermarket pipes to get rid of the cannons out the back. :whistle:

[/QUOTE] I'm shocked how nice this bike is, I am blown away!

I must say I've always loved yamaha stuff and this is my first suzuki. I am seriously blown away at how great this bike is! I could live without the huge exhaust coming out the back and a better name than "B King" would be nice, but man I can't believe they are discontinuing this bike! It must be the love/hate looks thing because everyone of my buds who have ridden this now want one[\QUOTE]

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Welcome to the B-King true believers club... enjoy your rare kick ass bike!

Last edited:
Join the ranks of us devotees.I still have my 08 Fazer 1000s which I prefer for a "little" stunting around on,but I am finding I am using "her" less and less.My B.King....wow,have already done 7500 miles since March this year Mods carried out...carbon fibre everywhere,Micron rear cans,Vario pegs(essential),Xtre electrics (to override the factory restriction),180 rear tyre,renthal grips,spark enhancer,screen,tail tidy,crash bungs,Ventura luggage system(modified due to new exhausts)....what an under rated m/cycle,I am loving the experience and the "exclusive club"kudos it brings.

i have had my b-king for 6 weeks and have put 5k on it, love the thing, can't stay off of it. dave

i put 300 this weekend at bike week in oc md :)

I also have to agree its a great bike. Lots of power and feels like a 600 in weight distribution to me. It feels much lighter than its brother.

Last edited:
I'm a fairly new owner as well(black B-King) and like y'all have said; I'm amazed how good this bike is. To get the bike at a hugely discounted price(like most of us) and having the exclusivity of being one of a very few owners(at least in the U.S.)of this unique and remarkable bike is just icing on the cake!

I have another bike for long distance touring; a Buell Ulysses XT that's got hard sidecases, a topcase, heated grips and 2 acc. outlets. However, if I ever figure out a way to make the King into more of a long distance sports tourer(primarily by adding luggage capacity), the Buell will be history. I like the King that much!

I've got a nice Marsee tailbag that works well on the King for a weekender, but that's about it. Except for the lack of storage capacity, the King is well suited to long distance riding, however. It's weight and longer wheelbase make for a comfortable, stable ride that isn't as affected by windblast as much as my Buell. This makes for a less fatiguing ride, overall. Although my Buell has a small windshield, the King(that doesn't have one) is much more quiet and has negligible buffeting, unlike the Buell which, although not bad, is quite a bit worse than the King.

Another surprise is riding position. The King is a more sporty riding position than the Buell and again, although not uncomfortable(I've done almost 800 miles in one day on the Buell), I feel more comfortable on the King; at least on rides up to just over 400 miles in one day(the most I've yet done on the King).

Frankly, I think Suzuki might have missed the boat here. In my opinion, with just a few modifications, the King would be a "world class" sports tourer.

Long live the "King"!

For what it's worth I did ride 240 miles on the E-way at 80 mph. I rode down to a friend's house and back and on the way down I ran "A" mode and back I ran "B". I was getting 38.5 mpg on "A" and 41 mpg on "B" for what it's worth.

Back