B-King or not to B-King

UtahRider

Registered
I've been intrigued by the B-King ever since it was announced last year with the new Hayabusa. I like the naked, no nonsense look of it. I love the fact that it is a standard with a Hayabusa engine. I considered getting one when I heard about it last year, but opted instead for the 2008 Hayabusa. I already owned a Harley-Davidson Night Rod Special that I felt met my needs for longer distance comfort riding.

I finally saw a B-King up close the other day and had a chance to sit on it. First impression was that the bike was huge. You also have to be somewhat limber to swing your leg over the high back end. The tank and side scoops are huge and it seemed a little top heavy when gently rocking it off of the side stand. I had an instant disliking of the mirrors because all I could see was my arms, but didn't spend much time trying to adjust them to see how adequate they would be.

I grabbed both handlebars and put one leg up on a peg. Wow, that's a comfortable position I thought. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and my leg fit comfortably cradled under the side scoop. I didn't have to bend forward to reach the handlebars and they felt to be a good height. I imagined myself moving forward at Hayabusa accelerations in such a comfortable position and wondered if the wind would be a nuisance.

A few other concerns crossed my mind like the small 4.4 gallon fuel tank. I'm sure I'm not the first to wonder why Suzuki put in such a small tank when the motorcycle had such a huge front end. Range would be a little limited, though not unreasonable for less spirited riding. I also wondered about luggage options. These didn't seem to be large problems so I began to imagine myself buying one, though i would have to trade in the Harley-Davidson or Hayabusa in order to afford it.

My H-D Night Rod Special has a lot going for it that I like. It has an alarm that disables the ignition and I only need to have the key and fob on me in order to start the bike. It also has a garage door opener, wind screen, automatic turn signal cancellation, stylish looks and an adequate riding position. I have ridden it all day in relative comfort. However, it is lacking in acceleration compared to the Hayabusa (I know, what isn't?).

I love my Hayabusa. Riding it is so effortless. Just twist the throttle and you're there. The only drawback for me is the riding position. My hands can start to tingle after a while, though this can be dealt with by shaking my hand or loosening my grip momentarily. I've thought about installing helibars to improve the riding position.

What advice can you give me? Should I buy the B-King? Is riding the B-King different enough from the Hayabusa to make it worth owning both? If you've ridden both, can you please describe the differences in handling and comfort? Should I trade in my H-D Night Rod Special? Should I just keep what I have and forget about the B-King?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your comments, Trev! :beerchug:

I decided to do it and now I have a new B-King in my garage!

I traded in the H-D Night Rod Special for a new black B-King. I paid $11100 for the B-King and had money left over after my trade.

So far I have put about 70 miles on it. All I can say is AWESOME. Power, handling, comfort are all exceptional. Freeway speeds are no problem without a windscreen. I've already ordered the RKA Star III tailbag and hope to do a little touring next week.

Here are some photos:

bkinga11.jpg

bkingf10.jpg

bkings10.jpg

P.S. Yes, I know i still have the reflectors on. :confused2:

Wow, very nice. I was going to suggest you install lower pegs and risers on the Busa, they will make a world of difference in riding position for you. Congrats on the new purchase!:beerchug:

for what it's worth....the Heli bars make a world of difference for those who suffer from "numb hand syndrome" on the Hayabusa...and adding a higher screen (Zero Gravity) takes a load of your upper body at higher speeds.
..the only issue that keeps me from purchasing a BKing is the wind protection...does anyone make an aftermarket short cowl to put on the BKing to alleviate this ? I'm sure the bike is a rocket, but I would really want to take advantage of the power available without having the high speed buffeting tearing my arms out of their sockets..

Howdy: I saw the post and thought I'd reply. I have had the gsx 1300bk for 4 months and put ~ 13k miles on it. It is heavier than the z1000 I had, but is very stable and vibration free (gear driven counter-balancer). I average 350 - 550 miles per three day weekend, and am not fatigued after a 300 mile ride. The bike has some of the best wind protection I've experienced on a naked, tho I stay under 90 mph.

The lower extremities are protected due to the air intakes (passive out of the crate). The upper is fine too, even tho it lacks a windscreen. There is a slight cant forward, but the upper body weight is distributed all over, not on the wrist or lower back. It's perfectly balanced.

The foot peg placement feels like a sport bike. If you have an inseam of greater then 32", you may need to lower the pegs as your knees may push up into the intake. I am 5'9", 160 lbs, with a 32" inseam. It's a perfect fit, and the bike's design and ergos lend themselves well to counter-steering.

BTW: there is a hydraulic steering stabilizer that contributes to some of the best road carving I've experienced. Point and shoot. At slower speeds (parking lot, <12 mph), the steering is controlled but not as fluid as an unrestricted steering unit. I'd prefer Honda's HESD electronic steering stabilizer for the lower speeds, IMO, but the bking's design is not obtrusive.

One last point. I average 40 mpg on 300 mile rides keeping the revs under 4k rpm. At this rpm, you can do anything, pull, pass, jaunt, and keep up on interstates. It's the perfect commuter.

Now then, between 4 - 7 k rpm, constantly, you'll average 30 - 35 mpg. In this space, it feels like an old fashioned V8, in second gear going 70 mph. The thing want to pull unlike any other.

I haven't had the occasion to push the bike beyond this as shifting more then three gears at 7k rpm would triple local speed limits.

A full tank of gas will take you 125 - 145 miles.

I hope this helps. Feel free to query if you have other questions.

Back