Autoshift using the Power Commander Hub?

Draco1340

Registered
Last night was the first time I had the opportunity to try out autoshifting. I have a PCIII with USB hub and a Cycle-Tek air shifter. I had the PCIII set to shift at 12k. I bench tested the system on a stand at 5k rpm to make sure it was working before going to the track.

The track was a skating rink last night. Cold temperatures (~45) and zero track prep... The autoshifter didn't seem to work at all, and I am wondering if a) the system doesn't work if there is any tire spin, or b) if there is some setting in the power commander that controls the duration of the output to the shifter.

Any thoughts? I gave up and disconnected the autoshifter after verifying my factory rev limiter was working just great:banghead:

I don't think you have the kill activated. You have to trigger it separately.
Mine is set up a bit different than most. I use the USB autoshift fire my solenoid. I run a hobbs adjustable pressure switch in the line to provide signal for the PCIII to kill it. This lets me set the kill a bit shorter than most.
The kill function also has to be activated on the PC using the quick shifter software. The kill function is not really part of the USB hub and will operate without it. I’ve got the software somewhere if you can’t find it.

In my experience the air shifter is going to have problems shifting if the tire is spinning regardless of the use of an autoshift.

The kill function also has to be activated on the PC using the quick shifter software. The kill function is not really part of the USB hub and will operate without it. I’ve got the software somewhere if you can’t find it.

In my experience the air shifter is going to have problems shifting if the tire is spinning regardless of the use of an autoshift.

The grounding output of the PCIII Hub seems to be activated, and in fact shifts on a wheel stand, and did shift from 4th to 5th last night. What is the quick shifter software? Is this part of the PCIII?

Isn't the factory rev limiter set at less than 12,000 rpm? I'm talking actual rpm-not what's showing on the Suzuki dreamometer. Try setting the autoshift at 11,000 and give it a try. Curious how it works out as I'm considering the same setup.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm dumn (and tired from long night at the track). Shift light set to activate at 11k rpm. Again, it did shift on the stand, but I tend to agree with Professor, in that the problem is probably tire spin.

Set the kill to a super long kill time and trigger only it. You will hear the motor drop.

You need the quick shift software and a plug. A programming plug can be re pinned to use.

The gounding output only provides a signal to fire the solinoid. If you haven't hooked anything else up, you are not getting a kill signal. It will shift on the stand without a kill because the tranny is not loaded.

My grounding output on the hub goes to my kill box and soleniod control, which is a cycle-tek (one of our fine vendors). The cycle-tek kill box is activating both the kill and the solenoid simultaniously, so you can't do one without the other.

Back