Audiovox cruise control

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
OK, last weekend I installed the AudioVox CC. You can find pipefighter248's installation thread

Since the install, the weather has been bad, but this morning the snow is almost gone and the temp is up to 29*, so I mounted my trusty steed and off we went. Because of traffic, I only got to run about 10 of the 35 miles with the CC on. But that did include a section of small roller coaster type of hills as well as some slab.

I don't know if it's because the power to weight is so much different than a car, if it's because the input to the servo is only 25% of the actual pulses, or if it's because I don't have a vacuum canister, but when setting the CC, it loses 5 mph, then climbs to 5 mph over the target, then settles in at the set speed. One settled in, it maintained the set speed +- 2 mph, even through the hilly section.

OK, last weekend I installed the AudioVox CC.    You can find pipefighter248's installation thread  

Since the install, the weather has been bad, but this morning the snow is almost gone and the temp is up to 29*, so I mounted my trusty steed and off we went.  Because of traffic, I only got to run about 10 of the 35 miles with the CC on.  But that did include a section of small roller coaster type of hills as well as some slab.

I don't know if it's because the power to weight is so much different than a car, if it's because the input to the servo is only 25% of the actual pulses, or if it's because I don't have a vacuum canister, but when setting the CC, it loses 5 mph, then climbs to 5 mph over the target, then settles in at the set speed.  One settled in, it maintained the set speed +- 2 mph, even through the hilly section.
Aleast you have a good ideal where to start trouble shooting !

For you situation the most  feasible way would to me be to start by splicing into the rest of your coil wires to increase the pulse rate.  If that doesn't fix the flucuation problem then its has to be that you dont have the vaccum canister installed as you stated.

I'll check with Nathan to see how he exactly tapped into the coil or coils and speed senor, if so.

Ty

I tapped into the very left coil, coming out of the coil itself. Don't remember the color, but it was not grey.

BW- I'd recommend installing the vacuum canister. Possibly also changing the blue wire over to the coil instead.
Mine holds steady and maybe loses 2-3 MPH going up a decent hill.

Cool. I'll follow this thread. I noticed that Audiovox also offers an electrically operated throttle servo system. I assume you are using the vacuum system?

I tapped into the very left coil, coming out of the coil itself. Don't remember the color, but it was not grey.

BW- I'd recommend installing the vacuum canister. Possibly also changing the blue wire over to the coil instead.
Mine holds within 2 mph after its set.  Just when initally hitting the SET button, it does the slow down, speed up, settle in thing.  Doesn't bother me enough to change anything at this point.  After the initial -5, +5, on the money thing, it holds steady. The +-2 mph was going up and down the hills. And I was probably paying more attention to the speedo than I should have been to see that.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143154077 -->

No# 1 sparkplug wire on top, right ? I couldn't find anything that ressembles a car type coil.  
sad.gif

Coil.jpg

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143161268 -->

Coil.jpg

No# 1 sparkplug wire on top, right ? I couldn't find anything that ressembles a car type coil.
sad.gif

Coil.jpg
That's right Ty, no blue wires are there.
You run the blue wire from the servo and tie it into, by looking at your pic, the green wire on the coil.

Mine holds within 2 mph after its set. Just when initally hitting the SET button, it does the slow down, speed up, settle in thing. Doesn't bother me enough to change anything at this point. After the initial -5, +5, on the money thing, it holds steady. The +-2 mph was going up and down the hills. And I was probably paying more attention to the speedo than I should have been to see that.
Don't know?
Whenever I hit set on mine, it usually jumped about 1 MPH and held steady. Might be where we tied the blue wire from the servo to different places.
As long as it's working and your satisfied, then I wouldn't change a thing.

sad.gif

Coil.jpg
Those are the coils. There is a gray wire going to each of the coils. This is the + connection on the coil. Do not connect to the gray. There is a unique color wire going to each of the coils.

#1 - White w/ Blue
#2 - Black
#3 - Yellow
#4 - Green

These go from the ECM to the coil it doesn't matter whether you connect the blue wire from the servo to it at the coil or at the ECM. These are the wires the ECM uses to fire the coils. If you connect to any of these, you should set the servo to ECM. Not that I think that dip switch does very much.

The wiring diagram for the coils to ECM is attached.

Busa_ignition.jpg

Since I had the bike apart, I did some final tuning on the cruise control. I works better than the factory cruise in my car now. Here are the finishing touches:

1) Added a vacuum canister. Copied pipefighter's design.
2) Reprogrammed the servo. New settings:
SW1 - OFF -|
SW2 - OFF -- PPM 2,000. To make up for only pulling from 1 coil.
SW3 - OFF -- Tach signal only.
SW4 - ON -|
SW5 - OFF -- Light vehicle with high horsepower.
SW6 - OFF -- Control switch normally open (default)
SW7 - ON -- Tach source coil.

Should we check into a Group Buy on these?
rock.gif
I'm curious what the interest would be.

Back