Review -- Audiovox Cruise Control

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Man this mod made the trip a lot more comfortable that's for sure.. The purchase was a breeze going through murphskits.com

The packages arrived in the mail and Uncle Steve and I spent a combined 6 hours putting this system together. Now that we have both done it before we could cut a lot of time off an install....

We definately put the cruise to a test on the road, there is a time and a place to use it, just like a throttlemeister.

On the long hwy miles that we put on nothing was better than the Audiovox cruise. I would use my GPS speed indicator and call out to Steve and tell him how fast I was going, he would accelerate to the same indication on his GPS then lock the speed in his cruise. We would go miles and miles right next to each other with the cruise managing the speeds. A couple of safety notes, if you hit either brake or pull in the clutch the cruise disengages and your back to using the throttle.

We have the settings in a position that gently pulls instead of having it rip your arms out when it engages. Overall I dont know how I was able to survive without it... For 115.00 it has to be one of the best mods that I have put on the bike....

However there are times, in the city, on a slower speed limit that the cruise is not reccomended. In city traffic or for short burst you should use the throttlemeister. One safety reminder is that you have to be at least 3000 rpm for the system to engage and if you try to resume and your in a different gear your speeds will be off. As an example I set the cruise in 4th gear going through a construction zone, when we got out of the zone I went to 6th and hit resume. When the cruise went to the recorded RPM my speed was much higher than when I was in 4th...... Just be aware....

busa-cruise-sized1.jpg

busa-cruise-sized2.jpg

busa-cruise-sized1.jpg

busa-cruise-sized2.jpg

Very cool. For the S/T'ers seems like a must have... :thumbsup:

Was the install difficult?

Did you take pictures and are you planing to do an installation thread?

Definitely want to know the difficulty involved when installing it. Please get some details out to us.

The install isn't so much difficult as time consuming... Walking into this project with no idea on how or where to mount or connect things would be a nightmare. Luckily I had someone who had already lived the pain and we were able to improve on his processes and make my install go a little faster. We did take some pics but not really to the detail that we needed to, We have a couple of newer electronic units coming in that we will be doing installs on a Gen I and Gen II.

The word that I received from a distributor is that there will be no more Audiovox units sold after September and that is why we will be trying the Rosta units.

When it was all said and done the package came with about 50 pieces of hardware to accomodate all the different installation options, we used about 5 of them and had a whole bag of new hardware left over. I will try to put some details together with pics asap but the install will include some soldering and electronic, some vaccume lines, some grinding of inner plastics (Gen II for sure) and some mechanical work like taking the gas tank off and things like that. Not too hard if you have done one before but definately a lot of steps are needed if your going to try to do it yourself.

CAp

Wouldn't it be nice to dump the mode selector and integrate the cruise control in its place? Yeah just dreaming. I've got a long list of better uses for that D Mode selector switch. :banghead:

Back