Attn GoPro Gurus, Hero vs Hero2

1 wheel peel

Registered
I am about to purchase my first video camera to be used on the bike. I am curious as to what improvements where made from the Go Pro Hero to the Hero 2? What is that extra $100 buying me? I read somewhere that the 2 was getting a new lense, did that help reduce the fish eye effect? Did sound quality improve?

I'm not dead set on the Go Pro it just seems that they have a stellar reputation with a quality product. I prefer the smaller packages of some of their competitors but am unsure of their longevity, quailty and accessories availability. So if you have their competitors product I'd like to hear from you as well.

Between the two the major improvement is in terms of the new cameras interface which is now much easier to understand and operate than the Morse code kind of interface of the original hero. Also the low light imaging has greatly improved in the new camera. Apart from these there are smaller but significant changes like a new lens , MP up from 5 to 11 etc all add to the price difference. Your requirements will decide which one to buy. I bought the HD2 simply because it was a much newer product and an overall better camera than the previous gen.

I have the normal HD hero. I like it, but the controls are stupid. I mean stupid. The HD2 seems to be much more user friendly, and low light needs improvement on the HD1. I'd just get the new one and be done with it..

Not trying to muddy the water because my next setup will be the GPG2, but my wife has a friend that is a snowboarder and they lean toward the Contour. I had never heard of them, but did some research and found them to be pretty solid. The snowboarding vids he did were absolutely awesome. Just food for thought...

Contour | GPS Video Camera and HD Helmet Camera

The Contour has its issues too. A good friend of mine has one, and complains about it constantly...

Drift HD170 fan here. Camera has mulitiple mounting options, and has a remote control, (which I like alot), and is a bit more compact in it's overall size. I use it every day on my commute to be a witness to all the madness out there.

Always buy the best camera you can afford. I have now bought the original GoPro, and the HD Hero. It's plenty good for me but I'd love a HD Hero2. Wanna buy mine so I can buy a new one?

The Contour has its issues too. A good friend of mine has one, and complains about it constantly...

That is good to know! Thanks!!! Everyone I know that has the GP (either version) is happy with it.

The Drift looks really nice but I don't know anyone personally that has one. I like the shape of the Drift for a helmet cam.

Back