GoPro goes Oh Noooooooooo !

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Thus begins my saga as to what GoPro is gonna do for this IDIOT !
GoPro took a tumble down I95 a few moments ago....
I was going along 50-60-70 fine...then moved over to pass a car and accelerate....and heard a crack....
It was the homemade pole mount I created.
Thing worked perfectly I guess up to about 80mph when the pole let go at the junction.

I looked and looked and could not find a mount like I envisoned so I went to Home Depot and spent $8.36 creating the 'perfect' mount !

1 36" 1/2in sprinkler pipe
1 1/2in tee cut in half to make clamps
2 hose clamps
2 pieces of rubber bicycle inner tube

perfect......at least it was.
goprohomademount005.jpg

goprohomademount003.jpg

goprohomademount007.jpg

It snapped off. I could not stop and pull over so had to go up to next exit, go south one , then get off and come back up north to look for it.
I had hazards on and was as close to inner wall as possible and hoping for a quick find.
Yes 10 seconds I see pole...yeah...get close......arrgh...pole only..no cam..no case...
Keep rolling up see case or what left of it on middle of fast lane...my mind races..then I see it just the case and no camera inside.....arrgh..!
Keep rolling up and see yes camera flipped over lense down against inner wall...then see battery...then see door to case...cool pick it all up and am a bit relieved then I look at camera closely and realize.......
NO DATA CARD !!!! IT POPPED OUT ?
:banghead:

I spent the next hour rolling all the way back about 1/2 mile before the pole to about 1 mile passed pole and saw nothing..
Granted I'm basically looking for a postage stamp size data card but I found all else except what really would have made it all worth while......
the video of it bouncing of somebody's hood and getting hit would have been nice to see.

I had my eyes and brain trained to pick out a blue data card but in the end gave up as from the first moment I stopped on side of I95 I was risking death and didnt want to push it any farther.

The lid to the case is fine...
GOPROREMAINS-1.jpg

Housin' took a beatin'
GOPRO.jpg

Lense is scratched from bein' Runt Ova !
GOPRO2.jpg

It is testament as to the durability of it as it came off around 80mph , most certainly got hit several times as it rolled to a stop on side of Hgwy still intact.
I would be most willing to send this one back for research purposes on their part to help make a better one next model !

I Can get battery into it but it will not power up.
I can also hear numerous things rattlin' around inside it when I shake it.

So here I am telling my tale of woe...
crying%20can%20u%20see%20me.jpg

Hoping that when GoPro customer service reads this thread that I started because I loved it ever so....
crying-baby-0509-s2-99576567.jpg

They will please replace my dead corpse of a GoPro that I tested free for them...with a
New GoPro Hero HD, New case and New Battery...:please:

If they do this for me I promise honest and for true I will be the bestus unsolicited spokesperson they ever did saw !
Honest cross my heart and promise never to eat another thin mint Ifn I'm lyin' !

I already sent an email to the product support team linking this thread and the other one pinned on top.
I'm hoping somebody will be willing to make me a continued unpaid spokesperson and send me a new one.
Like I said they can have the torture tested one back if they want...:laugh:
It would make for great research for them to see what failed and what didnt as it went for a roll down I95 wouldn't it ???

I'm still bummed about the card...:banghead:
I can see in my mind the video of it tumbling and rolling..
Also had like 2hrs of great beach footage on it as well !

I rode it around the block and then came back and watched it.
On setting 4 where it records most tall it showed my helmet, shoulders, hands as well as road ahead. It was a beautiful position and looked great.
It also hardly shook when riding . The video I made was very watchable.
Unfortunately all test vids were also on same lost card.

Blanca, you don't want to find that card. Short story...

2-3 months ago a phone went for a short flight across the living room pretty well square into the wall. Not one of my finer moments but I degress...The phone had hit the wall smack center with where the micro sd card mounts. After tossing the phone I realized I was throwing away a "perfect" 2 gb card I pulled it back out..

Plugged it into my house computer, 15-20 seconds go by...1 minute...nothing. frustrated I pulled the card and put into my laptop...idle,idle,idle...20 seconds...nothing. Now this is where it go weird... when I touched the card to see if it was in that thing was RED hot! Turns out it had a small crack across the center of it, warm enough I pulled it out of the laptop with pliers. Had I left it any longer I am certain it would have gone south

In short, something that hit the ground that hard you probably don't want inside of your computer and I never thought you could "damage" a solid state card.

y didnt you just use the suction cup mount and put it on your front windscreen? I could have told you the pvc would break.... the suction cup will hold always...been 180 on mine many times and nothing moves...you can also make a safty wire for it and attach that to something more permanant so even if it comes lose it wont go anywhere other then in your lap

Suction cup on the windshield won't give you the same perspective as having the camera 3 feet up on the air behind you.

y didnt you just use the suction cup mount and put it on your front windscreen? I could have told you the pvc would break.... the suction cup will hold always...been 180 on mine many times and nothing moves...you can also make a safty wire for it and attach that to something more permanant so even if it comes lose it wont go anywhere other then in your lap

From the looks of the setup, it looks (to me) that the idea was to get himself in the video too. I agree the suction cup works great at all speeds I have gone and I still use a tether just in case! I let a buddy use mine on his K7 GSXR1000 at the Stampede last year and it fell off on the highway; fortunately the damage was minimal and it still worked fine. Some that were there may remember that, go figure it has never fallen off the Busa but the suction mount failed when attached to the 1000.

Looks like a warranty issue to me.:laugh:

The suction cup has been tested up to 130:whistle:

Dang it, sorry bro. They might, but I doubt GoPro will warranty the camera because it was not installed on an approved, improvised mount. Very sorry.

I would think the warranty and blatant pandering might just get you a replacement. You are putting their CS to the test lol.

:snap:

sorry i couldnt resist, sorry for your loss though, im sure you will think of something to get it working again, good luck tho

Saiid, I feel for ya man. Didn't destroy any cameras last season, but I did go through three housings after leaning over too far at speed. :whistle:

Look familiar?

Dsc04532_800.jpg

In retrospect, it was a good idea but also didn't work due to weight of the arm and too many joints (5). A bit more pre-planning and triangulating the arm with a 2nd one off the other RAM ball on the left side and this would likely work great.

And yes, with the 170 degree lens, you can see everything!

Dsc04532_800.jpg

The view from the mount I had was perfect.
It worked perfect for low speed cruising down Ocean Ave and by the pier.
It was only up to and beyond HGwy speed it did not work.
I knew that and told myself that.
If I had the video you would have seen the most perfect line of thunderstorms on left side/ west side moving rapidly east as I was going north home.
I pushed it a bit too fast trying to beat the rain.
60-70 it was fine, going around a car 80-90 it broke off.

GOOD NEWS IS GOPRO HAS ALREADY RESPONDED AND OFFERED ME 40% OFF A REPLACEMENT.
FAIR ENOUGH.
ALL I NEED IS NAKED MODEL WHICH IS $259.00 SO 60% OF THAT IS $155.40.
BETTER THAN FULL COST TO BUY A NEW ONE AND MY FAULT SO OH WELL.

Back