ATTN: Busa & Sportbike Owning Service Men...

Well, one small part that would help is for us veteran riders (not military but motorcycle vets) would invest some time discussing technique and skill with newer riders. I can think of 3 different riders that were "just back" from deployment that I've ridden with in the past 3 years. I also remember just wanting to get back on my bike and ride after everybody stopped for lunch.....what a missed opportunity! We could have talked about so many things (safety, skill, techniques, etc.) but it was just cheeseburger, coke then ride.
This strand has tremendous value. Doyle

Mentorship is a program that is in place, however so many see it as an unnecessary burden. Couple that with the fact that a sportbike rider doesn't want to hear what a cruiser guy says, nor vice-versa and it is a futile effort at best. I wish there was a definite answer that worked for everyone. Unfortunately sometimes accidents are just that, accidents.

Mentorship is a program that is in place, however so many see it as an unnecessary burden. Couple that with the fact that a sportbike rider doesn't want to hear what a cruiser guy says, nor vice-versa and it is a futile effort at best. I wish there was a definite answer that worked for everyone. Unfortunately sometimes accidents are just that, accidents.

Since I know many org members are super capable riders, I'll expand on my point. I have riden with young guys often, what happens is that when they see that I am a far superior rider than them (this is not bragging)....I gain much credibility with them and they will tend to listen to my advice. Moreover, they WANT to listen.
Again, I believe that many of us fall into that catagory here on the org and could use it for access to young people.
I've been a high school teacher for too long to give up on kids....and Iraq/Afgan Vets are, for the most part kids. Young people are begging for structure and information....and quality adults with the same motorcycle passions, like most of you. Doyle

+1 This is a great thread and i so happen to be active duty military. Having been to Iraq and headed to Afghanistan soon heres my experience with sportbikes and the military: I've done the BRC,ERC and the Sportbike course even done a few trackdays while in Cali. I think the disconnect is when regardless to what techniques our guys are picking up during this training once they are on their own what they choose to apply or not apply will be the deciding factor on if they make it home from the ride or not. The mindset of "train as you fight" should be modified to "ride as you train" for some of these riders. I also serve as a motorcycle mentor and when i do the required "checked-rides" with the members from my unit it still comes down to guys having the discipline to not try and go out and weave through traffic doing 120 once I'm not with them. Blowing off steam from a combat tour should be just that BUT must be done with the mindset that you would like to be around to enjoy more rides and if need be kick a lil more A$$. Ride safe brothers and sisters

oops got long winded:bowdown:

You must be new if you thought that was long winded. Good point though.

Doyle you are correct but it is getting to the point of them seeing you ride. And you are a superior rider not bragging just stating the obvious. :bowdown:

I guess it just needs to be understood that there isn't a magic wand that is going to fix it all. I have been in multiple meetings year after year for over 10 years about what can we do to reach the younger kids and all that ever seems to come out of it is more invasion into their lives and/or more restrictions placed on them. There was even an idea to have the supervisors shoulder some responsibility and that doesn't really work unless the supervisor is a rider themselves.

:rant:
Because of stupid Soldiers, in order to ride my bike on post I had to take the Basic Rider Course, Advanced/Experienced Rider Course, and Sportbike Rider Course. (The Army also provides a track day session that I have yet to check out at Texas Motor Speedway). I have to get a written monthly counseling on riding safe, my bike inspected before every other weekend, go riding with my mentor once a month or so, and wear a stupid reflective vest and helmet even when riding off post.
With all those safety measures in place we still have stupid Soldiers who come back from deployments and get Busa/liter bike as their starter bike, crash and die, then make it that much harder for others to enjoy riding. Now the Army (specifically a Soldier's chain of command) actually has the power to tell a Soldier they are not authorized to buy a specific type of bike, but as a soldier when I got back from a year in Iraq if I was told I wasn't allowed to get the bike I had dreamed about getting for 12 months I would have told them to F off. Now I had been riding cruisers and sportbikes for 5 years before getting my Busa so they'd be a little unjustified in telling me I couldn't, but everyone's got a different situation. I don't think any kind of preventative training should be equally assigned to all Soldiers. It's too easy to asses how big of a risk a person is in certain categories, and have him take courses accordingly. (ie: if you are a 19 year old with no riding experience buying a Busa you should have to take more classes than a 29 year old with years of experience an no tickets.)
:rant:

Last edited:
Funnyman- I understand your frustration, but it is what it is. As far as the requirement for some to take the course and other not. Who is to make that determination? Is someone just supposed to take your word for it? If that were the case then nobody would need the class. Not to mention the class is time away from work with the opportunity to ride your bike all day and quite possibly even get better at it. So the class is win/win. Some of the other things you address are petty on the surface, but the DOD is actually able to make a really good case for having them.

But never forget you are not in control of your life. You signed on as an Army asset, and as painful as it is sometimes, it comes with some pretty stupid crap. Of course you always have the option of leaving the service or not riding.

I'm going to sign up for the base sportbike class this year just to check it out. A friend of mine took the class and she enjoyed it. I wonder what kind of response I'll get when I show up in full leathers?

I'm going to sign up for the base sportbike class this year just to check it out. A friend of mine took the class and she enjoyed it. I wonder what kind of response I'll get when I show up in full leathers?

That's the ONLY way to show up, good on you! Let us know everybody's reaction.

Been riding for over 20 years now and always find myself becoming a better rider after each rider course. At a minimum, the classes are an important refresher to help me evaluate/correct "bad" habits. Heck, I have lost count the number of times I was able to anticipate/avoid an accident because of the lessons I learned in class.

So come WED, I am attending the Sportbike Rider course.....gladly and willingly :)

Back