Attention Electrical Geniuses

mrnyc01

Registered
Ok will try to make this short.

Last year had an issue with 01 dying on me one day. Made it home by having wife continuously jump the bike off. Buddy said check wires under tank. I did they had shorted out fixed issue. This year went for ride a week ago. HID lights got dim, radio died but bike did not die. Was 30 miles from home and made it back. Cut off bike tried to start. Was dead. Charged and bike started. Checked wires under tank and they fine. Got meter out. Without bike on battery is at 12.5v. Start bike and it's at 11.75. Will go up to 12.4 at 5k rpm. Changed out rectifier with new one. Same thing. Thought at 5000 rpm it should be at about 13.5 rpm? So wires under tank (yellow ones) are fine. Should mention friend put in a used battery when tranny work was done. So battery is not new. But should it still charge at 13.5 at 5000 rpm?

Thoughts?

Download free manual and start with a drain test if the battery is good. Always have the battery load tested at a parts place. It's free. If the drain test is in spec , then I'd say check the stator. You said the rectifier was new, but if the drain test is good and the stator test is good, and the battery is healthy that leaves the rectifier.

Hayabusa Service Manuals | Everything GSX-R

Thanks DO3.... I am leaning towardsthe battery now. Last night I charged for about 3 hours on trickle charger. It did not charge. Light never turned green. I am thinking its the battery now.

Agree with DO3; have the battery tested first then rule out the rest.

that is a bad battery. A good batt will charge to around 14 volts on our machines. It is kind of holding the volts but it isnt holding up under the amperage draw

No burnt wires? Check your main fuse. Check the voltage at the stator wires with the bike running and the rectifier unplugged.
Should be over 50 volts A/C on all 3 stator wires with the bike running.
Sounds like one phase of the stator is burnt up.

Back