are yamaha wave runners any good?

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Thinking about picking up a wave raider and a wave runner,on a trailer,etc. He wants 5 grand. Any good.???

Thanks...Da rubbah.

Yep! But honestly if you haven't spent any time on a wave runner I'd consider renting one first. I found them to be fun, but only for a couple of hours then I found myself really bored trying to figure out what to do next.

Just like anything else though make certain it's seaworthy and runs good, the two strokers are dead simple of course but the four strokes are well.... Four strokes, and if it's been abused the impeller can be pretty chewed up.

If you have friends with wave runners though, it can be a lot of fun out there rough housing in the surf. :thumbsup:

I personally never been on a Yamaha but I have about 60 hours on a sea-doo one summer when I lived in Florida. I upgraded from a kayak to the sea-doo. I liked the sea-doo because it had plenty of room to hold my two fishing rods, tackle, and snorkel gear so I could go up and down the springs just like on the kayak and fish/snorkel or head out to the flats in the Gulf and catch trout. If I wasn't having any luck fishing though I could run up and down the rivers at 60+ MPH to get to the next fishing spot. Also was fun to take friends out skiing or tubing.

I had a friend who had a Yamaha and he had no problems with it. However, maintenance is a pain in the butt for either one. Not a lot of room to work on them inside so even changing oil becomes a knuckle busting experience.

Last edited:
They aren't bad but to put it simply the Sea doos and Kawasakis are better machines. They seem to have alittle more thought put into them.

What Revlis said. Rent a couple for a couple of weekends first.

If you don't use them 20 times a year, they just aren't worth the money.

--Wag--

They are fun but require maintenance to keep reliable. You will use them a lot at first and then in about a year they will just there...

I have the Yammy FX cruiser, dont know what ya'all do on them but I have a blast every time I go out. Then again I am on the ocean with it with lots of shoreline & Bayous to explore.

Jumping waves is really fun. Just last week I followed a school of dolphins for about a 1/2 mile, really cool!! I don't see speed so much important as quality and reliability, Yamaha's are the front runners here, thats why you mainly see them in rental places because they are very reliable. Now if you just had a small lake to run it in I suppose that would get old.

I really enjoy cruising along the shorelines and seeing/meeting all the folks around and looking at the nice boats!!

Heres one of the nice boats I saw!!
65501058.5xheHxZz.1DestinEC2006076.jpg

Back