Are more recent 'busas' okay for touring?

Once I hit the slab, I often flop down on the tank bag and hide in the still air behind the windshield while gobbling up the miles at 85. With the throttle lock, I can alternate hands on the tiller. My best tank full so far has been 210 miles. As Mr. Pashnit once suggested, I went to a 39t on the back.

I think for most though, this really is not the happy place for the 1300. Give us some sweeping, elevation-changing, ribbons to chase and show us that horizon. Now that is living.

Final thought: I got my Gen 1 for $6k, maybe put another thousand into it. We are at 28k miles. I am comfortable saying that she will get me to 50k over the next few years with normal maintenance.

IMG_6894-M.jpg

IMG_7633-M.jpg

80CA5BF9-1661-44D1-BA37-5D4F8ADA97B8-M.jpg

^^^ This.

With a double-bubble, throttle-lock and Heli-Bars I'm good on my Gen I for a 200 mile day. She is a "full size" machine that has room to carry stuff. But it's not a Goldwing.

View attachment 1667339

My XR650R touring bike. +/- 1,000 miles from Phoenix to Baja and back. It was terrible. I loved it.

View attachment 1667340
Heh, I guess it's safe to say I just got a new KLR650.

Motorman break in is basically run it hard from mile 1, change the oil, run it hard, change oil, live life lol

That bs don’t go over 5000rpm for 5000 miles or whatever it is, is forgotten about.
There's more to it than just running it hard. It's a whole process to get the rings to seat effectively.

1685965255159.png

If I begin posting my own chipmunk photos daily, will that grease the wheels and get you to purchase one more quickly?

For those sitting there horrified, this is not an idle threat either. I will do it without remorse.

Busa’s OK for touring ?

Worked late one Friday, home, straight to bed.

Up early Sat and took off interstate.

946K’s / 587 miles to meet some mates for a pizza and a beer.

Same distance home on Sunday.

Naked bike, Renthal bars with a pillion.

Busa never missed a beat and just ate up the miles and the fun stuff both ways.

I however, was a bit vague and shady starting work early Monday morning !

E2164F9F-5E62-4FC3-8A25-D2B47A6F7D46.jpeg

B7E32240-6E66-4BE7-94BB-EFE58B46FB85.jpeg

There's more to it than just running it hard. It's a whole process to get the rings to seat effectively.

Yes his process is more than that but that’s the basic idea. I like his process, I just don’t think 95% of people keep a bike long enough to reap the benefits of the extra couple hp you get

I figure I can add handlebar risers, a taller windshield, and some side cases. Mostly, though, I like to screech around the back roads here in Maine.

My favorite bike up till now is a 2006 BMW K1200R, which has 168 HP and looks like a racing bike. It was very comfy for long trips but also was like riding a laser beam. I think the 'busa would be similar.

What do you think? I see this has been discussed about 15 years ago.

View attachment 1667316
Any pizza can be a personal pan pizza if you are hungry enough.

I’ve had week long adventures on my Busa going many smiles an hour.

Soft saddle bags next big trip, back pack wasn’t comfy last trip. I pack light, can buy anything I forget……
Absolutely.
I use a fan bag and have various combinations of hard and soft luggage. My one rule is absolutely no back packs / rucksack. It makes a huge difference to me on long hauls or even anything over a few hundred miles even.

Back