Appointment reminders

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok I have to implement a patient reminder system.. This is the one that calls you a day ahead of your Dr's appointment to replace the current system (staff does this manually)

Do you think a "text" message to your phone or blackberry would be nice?

Currently staff have to do this and it is just a time consuming waste of resources and so "automation" is here. The voice systems are pretty boring but it costs a lot of money over the year to do these..

What do you think?

I'd take a text message any day than listen to another computer voice over the phone. Texting is faster and i'm sure cheaper than any voice system would be... right?

cost wise, it is pretty much a value added item to most software packages.. it is a data collection issue as of course we would need current cell numbers etc... I like the idea but I am just one person so figure a consensus would be a good idea.

Thanks!

The systems will do email to yes...

I am a consultant to medical offices and setup solutions for billing, payroll and anything else on the technical/IT side of the business.. (mostly 1 -4 provider offices)

I also do windows network configuration/network administration/workstation support... Doing the networks from the ground up saves a ton of headaches.

Add to that end user computer, software training along with EDI/HIPA compliance work, keeps me pretty busy

Many smaller offices can not afford/justify full time IT staff and so I do contract work on demand.

The hardest part is making stuff "dummy proof".. if it is not point and click, forget it....

I would take a text or email any day! I rarely answer the phone.

Interesting. Im interested in the business side of medicine as I wouldnt know where to start if I were to establish a practice. I have several friends who are at that stage of their careers. A practice could live and die at the hands of the front office staff, namely billing and the officer manager. I would love to get a scheduling system that automated reminders. Missed appts suck.

I try and press home to new Dr's just how important it is to get off on the right foot.. the problem is the costs.. The cheapest solution I use is Medisoft and that will set you back about $2000 plus hardware.

The real key and you have it nailed is front office training. I spent the last 6 months fixing an office that had a serious failure of both front and back office staff. I had to learn the system from the user standpoint in a few weeks and then find the issues... If I never see another HCFA form or coding book I will be happy... amazingly simple and complicated at the same time..

Running EDI is tough as you end up out 60 days on charges if the data is incorrect as it takes that long to get the rejection notices, repair the claims and get them back out.

It is bad enough you have to charge off 50% or more of your billable charges.. Then to have staff that can note bill all the necessary codes etc will break you. As of the first of the year, Medicaid is no longer sending EOB's with checks.. Every office I have now has dropped all MC patients.. Just not feasible to support the indigent when the gov't wants you to do it for free.

This appt reminder is looking like a hosted solution at this point for a 1 or 2 provider office at about $100 per month. Not too bad when you figure it takes about 1 hour a day for staff to do this. With the system, they generate a simple text file and upload it via the net to the call center. I just have to do the "1 click" thing so they can generate the file.

An in house system (software/hardware) so far is about 4G.. totally out of line for a small shop.

I think fixing cars and racing was easier... did not pay as well but sure was a lot more fun
smile.gif

Back