Anyone with a 2 battery starting system?

VDOP

Registered
Just wondering if anyone on here has 2 batteries set up in their bike. I have one battery in the front fairing which runs most of the electrical stuff, and one small (ATV size maybe?) battery under the seat which is used just for starting. The problem is the second small battery is not charged by the bike. So I have to be constantly charging it and the bike will only start a couple times before this battery dies. Any ideas on how to set it up so the bike charges both batteries? I did not build the bike so I'm not positive on how everything is set up. Also, there's a lot of room in the battery box under the seat where I'm guessing the stock battery was located. Can you see any drawbacks to putting a larger second battery here for more starting power that will last longer?

There are more than a few running a "24volt start" system. The majority just keep they're battery tender attached to the secondary/aux battery overnight so it's fully charged.

There are a few other options as well. Probably the easiest is to order a switch from schnitzracing online. The switch allows you to run the aux. battery in start mode or allow it to charge from the OE charging system.

The last option is to build your own which means getting the correct switch, terminal ends, and cabling.

Swapping in a bigger aux battery will last a little longer but not a whole lot. You'll still need a way to charge it.

Thanks man. Found the switch. That would be a nice setup. This may be a stupid question but I'm not great with electrical. Would the bike's charging system be too much for that tiny aux battery and cause damage or overheat it?

it's not a stupid question at all. The rectifier controls everything and I haven't heard of any casses of it over charging the batteries.

Also do a search on the subject. A few guys are running a 2 battery setup! I think I may go that way soon. I'm currently running a bigger battery!

why the 2 batteries. I have a big bore with high comp. and use a 14s battery with no prob. in stock location stock size and charges normal.

why the 2 batteries. I have a big bore with high comp. and use a 14s battery with no prob. in stock location stock size and charges normal.

Ahh, it's a little more than that. It does NOT like to crank over and will not even consider it if the batteries don't have a really good charge.

Thanks for the welcome. Love the site so far.

Ahh, it's a little more than that. It does NOT like to crank over and will not even consider it if the batteries don't have a really good charge.

Thanks for the welcome. Love the site so far.

Sounds like a voltage problem...yes. SO you do not have a stock battery at all? Why did someone put a 2nd battery in at all. What elect. stuff you got going on that you need 24 volts.?

this "ATV" battery your talking about is maybe the original battey. This battery if up to par should be fine. The 2nd battery was added for what reason?

The extra battery was added to aid in starting because it's a built motor. It has a battery in the front fairing which I believe runs all the electrical stuff. I'm not sure how big it is, I will have the fairing off soon. The second battery under the seat is actually even smaller than my quad battery now that I look at it. It is much smaller than the stock battery box area. The second battery is used to assist in starting only, nothing else.

once you go 24v on the start you never look back. :beerchug:

Since the bike is basicaly set up for 1/4 is why the bigger main battery was placed in the front. It helps put more weight in the front to keep the front end down.

My lil-old Busa has a 14s and still needed a 2nd battery to start. Its a pain but thats the draw back to a custom build. I try to keep both batteries on tenders when not in use.

Back