Battery Trouble

metalli445

Registered
I have a 02 Hayabusa and I've recently had trouble with the battery. At least I think it's the battery. First off, it hasn't been replaced for awhile and when I charged it over the winter I had the charger on a 12volt 2 amp setting. Today I was browsing the web and I read that your not supposed to charge this type of battery on anything more then 1.5 Amp's. I don't know if the 2 Amp setting really hurt that battery.

The reason I'm searching for a battery is because on my last trip (45 Min) I shut the bike off and when I went to start it I didn't have enough juice to crank the engine over. I got a hotshot and the thing ran strong until I got back home which then it wouldn't start again. I took the battery to a motorcycle shop to get it load tested. They said it was at about half life. I charged the battery, hooked it up to the bike, started the bike and reved it to 4500 RPM's where I was getting 14.5V at the battery posts. Since I got this reading I think the alternator is doing its job. What do you think?

The stock battery is 176 CCA. Sometimes I feel like the bike struggles to turn the engine over. I was thinking a battery with more Cold Cranking Amps would make it easier on the bike. I've found one battery that has 235 CCA and another that has 380 CCA. If I went with one of these would I hurt anything? Since I have a stock alternator, could it keep up charging this battery? Thanks!

If you're limiting the time it's connected to your charger, then I'd say you are not hurting the battery.  Also, see if you can remove the cover(s) on the battery so you can fill the cells with distilled water. Only fill up to the line or bottom edge of the cylinder plastic.

batteries plus has decent deals on Motorcycle batteries. they have 2 for the busa..one is $70 and the other is $90.

Wow! Thanks for that website. The 14S which they charge $90 for was priced at $169 on another website I was looking at. Do you know which kind of trickle charger I would need for that battery for a decent price? I looked on that website and it looks like they have a few different kinds of battery tenders. I'm not sure of the differences. Thanks

Just an update....I found a brand new battery tender on ebay for 39.75. Thats the best I could find.
Wal-Mart has a Schumacher Battery Companion charger and float maintainer designed for small batteries for $18.97. The same charger online goes for up to 50+ bucks. I have 2 they work awesome. They're designed to be plugged in when your not using the bike and won't overcharge like a basic trickle charger
winkold.gif

I never heard of batteries plus but they have one about 35 minutes away according to the website. I added the battery to my cart and they only wanted $6.41 for shipping so I think I'll just order it. It'll cost me more in diesel the way prices are these days.

I never heard of batteries plus but they have one about 35 minutes away according to the website. I added the battery to my cart and they only wanted $6.41 for shipping so I think I'll just order it. It'll cost me more in diesel the way prices are these days.
that is true.

Well just an update. That battery that I last bought... Part number XTAZ14S is about dead. I'm getting the same symptoms as I was getting with my last battery. I need to get a hot shot to start the bike and then she runs great. I turn the bike off and she barely turns over. I went and ordered a bigger battery. This time I purchased High Output Battery - 380 Cold Cranking Amps that requires the seat being modified. I'm hoping she turns over super fast on those hot days where the bike seems to not want to start. We'll see.

I would put the factory battery back into it,,[yavassa,,,sp ?? sorry,,I have found that the more lead,,the heavyer the battery the more they cost,,the stock battery weighs a little over 9lbs,,the cheaper batteries are lighter with less reserve,,I loked around and found a factory one for 85,00 bucks,,,,my original battery lasted me 6 yrs,,,, the battery tenders are nice,,2 amp charge on other chargers are good but not 6amp that will charge faster but shorten the life of the battery,,the cheaper chargers do not have a cut off and will continue to charge,,,,best wishes,,,but remember this,,when my battery got weak,,it was a hinderous to me,,I was afraid when ever I'd take it out,,that it might not restart,,so I replaced it,,and the stater has to work harder and with more fields turned on inside of it thinking you have other devices hooked up to your bike drawing more amps,,,,,why weaken it? spring for the new abttery,and the factory one is a sweet one,,I have had only one motorcycle battery that I had bought [numerous cheap ones in the past] that held up,,the rest died early within a yr,,,,spring for the factory yavasa,,,,plus,,some of the after market ones say they are replacement busa batteries,,but when you measure the height,,they are 1/4 or 1/8 too high and the seat would close right without pressing down on the battery which is not good,,,,the battery tenders are sweet,,good but on that,,but when youre place, hunt around and you will find them well under 100.00,

Back