anyone ridden during winter?

Chill, son. Listen to your man Jay...he's all over it. (btw, go re-check your post-you DID ask for stuff) check this out:

"it's a 01 blue-silver model. if you happen to have any parts let me know. i am in really bad financial shape. help me out
i may post pics later "
Ride safe kookla!

<!--EDIT|diesel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103504225 -->

well i by all means the last thing i meant was for any of you guys to send me for free any parts. if anyone happened to have spare parts that he wasnt using i would gladly BUY them. and as i said before some of you guys offered parts and send me... (put the appropriate word here)... this is not the issue here though and i hope you never come in any condition as i were... happy ridin' for u :p

Ridin' every single day this winter. Of course it was 64 sunny and clear here in SoCal!! Perfect Riding conditions

I ride all winter long in High desert calif. Gets damn cold. Get a First gear winter suit even the entry level suits are warm. I layer with wool and down vest polyprop longhandles and balaclava. Winter gloves. If you are seriouse. If not trailer it. gotta block the wind.

I would seriously give thought to renting a u-haul and this will let you be in a comfortable condition going home. I personally think it's too risky with the weather conditions. But it's your bike!
wink.gif

I layer with wool and down vest polyprop longhandles and balaclava.  
jump9.gif
 Longhandles, I haven't heard them called that since I was a kid. I thought it was just us Ozark hillbillies that called them that.  
laugh.gif
 I can't seem to find them in Florida. The next time I head north I need to remember to get myself some of them. They would be nice for riding.

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: "spell like an orzarkan"|1103515188 -->

This probably wasn't as cold as what you're planning but we were
wearing Poly prop long john underwear, Thermal tops and full leathers.

But what made the biggest difference ( ie going from "to bloody cold" to "I can handle this" ) was wearing the wet weather gear over
the top.
That extra layer of wind proofing kept the cold away perfectly.

Next problem .... avoiding ice
smile.gif
We made sure we didn't ride early morning or late night.

Jim

<!--EDIT|jimg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103518360 -->

ColdJim.jpg

I'm telling you it can be done, wear a ski mask under yer helmet and layer some clothing. I went 2 1/2 hours to my Aunt's funeral in the sleet. Dangerous? Hell yeah! dumb? yep! cold? oh yeah!
did I finally get to Milwaukee from Indiana,,,,,,,sure did. It can be done just drive slow and dress warm.
Of course renting a trailer it's like 125.00 dollars and it saves yourself the misery. Just my 2 cents.

One 50 mile trip in freezing temps it started raining about halfway through so i turned around and crept back home.. I definitely think riding in freezing temps and the possiblity of freezing rain or snow is unwise. RENT THE TRUCK!

well, finished university the past month and am about to go back to my hometown, aka have to ride there. it's a 675km ride and winter here in greece can be quite harsh. it's quite cold already here in the center of athens, so i guess it will be a lot colder going norther and a lot colder in open areas and fields.

i have my arai, my dainese jacket, a pair of bering leather gloves and boots. i will probably wear 2 pants one on top of the other, but only one top underwear and a 'thin' top because i don't want it to mes with my jacket. i hate it when i cant move.

has anyone tried this before? i am thinking of temperatures as low as 0-5 celsius (hopefully). and I hope it doesn't snow. cause i'll be left in the middle of the ride and probably die of cold :pP rain, i don't mind... well, of course i do, but i can bear with it.
smile.gif
expecting suggestions, comments, whatever. worst circumstances i experienced on a ride was 300km of constant rain. it was ok :/
I did it last year.

It was so cold.

Left New York City et 10AM, it was +5C.
And extremely windy. 90 km/h gusts winds.
Arrived in Montreal at 7PM and it was -3C.

The only place I got really cold was the fingers.
I taught I had good leather/thinsulate motorcycle gloves but it was not enough.

I had wool socks with construction boot, long johns, jeans and joe rocket pants, turtle neck, wool sweather, and ski jacket.

I was lucky to have my wife following me with the car. At the beginning, I would stop ever hours or so and go in the car to warm up. As I was getting closer to destination, I would be stopping every 15 min. Specially in the mountains where it got colder. And the wind really got me tired. Whe I took my helmet off I lookedlike a zombie.

The worst thing is that at that time my bike was insured in Montreal while I was living in NYC. The bike got stolen and recovered and after it got fixed the insurance told me to bring the bike back in Montreal. I did so and when I got back in NYC, I got a call from the insurance to tell me they would insure me anymore. That really sucked. I they had told me before I would have kept it in the states the whole winter.

What a bunch of Ahole!

They prefered me risking my life driving in that weather. Than having my bike stored in a friends garage for the winter. I guess they were not so good in risk calculating.

Good luck and be carefull and watch for ice patch. Drive while it bright, don't wait until it gets dark.

The coldest temps I have ridden in was in the low 30s to upper 20s F. It was only 50 miles but there was traces of snow blowing on the roads. Clothing consisted of: A very thin pair of work pants, tee shirt, long sleeve shirt over that, light weight wind breaker and a leather jacket on the top layer. A desent pair of leather gloves and steel toe boots. Aria helmat and a ski mask like the one you talk about. My fingers got cold but engine heat comeing out of the cowling can help that. My legs froze. How ever once you go from that freezeing cold to the burning sensation it's not all that bad.
tounge.gif
Just get something that will block most of the wind and watch out for ice.
Let us know what you do.

Get the truck!! You may be "tough" and all but you don't want to find out that you aren't while you are freezing, stuck in a snow storm or worse. Get the truck and save yourself of all this worrying about what to do. Make up your mind to get the truck today.

Back