Anyone removed their rear fender?

OB_KZZ1

Registered
Has anyone removed their rear fender. How does it look? Thinking about removing mine but would like to see a pic first.

I'd suggest getting an underfender replacement unless you never ride in the rain check out Martins site he has plenty of links

I have been making incremental use of the Ronco Whack-o-matic for some time now, and I think that I am finally to the point where I have pretty much cut everything off that doesn't look like motorcycle. The license plate is finally back on the vertical flat spot ahead of the rear tire, and you can see it this time because the license plate lamp housing, rear reflector, and the part of the trunk floor that hangs down below the rest of the trunk floor are all gone. Tomorrow I'll fab a flat aluminum floor for the trunk, paint it semi-flat black, and seal it with RTV. I kind of like being able to see the silver aluminum rear frame rails from the rear under the bodywork.

Hey I did something a little different and it looks killer. 1)First cut the whole fender off flush in the back. 2)Use the factory license plate bracket and two 160 degree bent,2" metal strips, put on each side of the bracket. Take out the ECM and line the plate up under the fender, but IN FRONT on the rear tire by the shock. The wholes for the brackets will be directly under the ECM. Use short machine screws with washers & lock nuts. Put stick foam or weather stripping over the nuts to prevent rubbing on the ECM. Relocate the light under there too.(its easy, but you must remove the tail plastic to get to the wiring). A$$ end of the bike looks ten times cleaner, no foreign objects sticking off or out.

The buy Flush/flat mount, oval blinkers from lockhart phillips. They fit really well inside the small air vents on the tail plastic. The left vent hole has access to the handle on the subframe for a center stand so if you have a center stand, it would be hard to pick the bike up. You must actually silicone or RTV the left blinker to the plastic, don't worry, it wont hurt the paint if you have to take it off, I have done it!!No damage what so ever. On the right side the vent hole in the plastic tail has a flat black plastic block off plate, you must cut about a 1.5" hole at the rear side of the block off for the blinker mounting threads. I know this sound confusing but when you sit down with the parts and see how well the blinkers fit in the vents, you'll figure out how to mount them, they look great,it is easier to ake the tail plastic cowl off al together to do this.Mount the blinkers on the cowl while its off, also run the wire extentions for the blinkers at the same time. Put the cowl with blinkers back on, plug the light sockets into the blinker reflectors. You hook all of the wires up before you bolt the plastic back on. Anyone with any mechanical aptitude can do this, its time consuming but looks killer. Only problem is during the day, blinker visibility is minimal. At night its fine. The bike will now look much sleeker then stock. The blinkers are only about 1/4" thick and are very smooth. I don't have any pictures but will take some and try to post in a couple of weeks when my bike is back together if any one needs them or is interested! Damn that was long!

zxalan,

We think alike. Everything you have done was completed just before a trip to Deals Gap in early June. Only difference is use of a plastic bike trailer license plate bracket for relocation of license plate in front of tire. I could not have explained it better.

I only have one photo of mine (not real clear).

for black busa, go to: http://img8.webshots.com/photos34/230/15/2301537DOrmAbKZXC_photo.jpg

for red busa, go to:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=976157&a=7163019&p=24297731&Sequence=0

It definitely clears up the 'lines' of rear end. Why buy something you can create yourself? Aren't the aftermarket folks 'creating' as well? LP's go for $19 a set.

ps. fender elimination is much more dramatic/visible with colors other than black. I got the concept for tag location from Mr. Orchard. Photos of his copper completion are available via email only.

[This message has been edited by byhalia (edited 14 July 2000).]

Well BYHALIA, all I can say is, great minds think alike!! The pic of the black busa blinkers are mounted just like mine. Nice hi-mount yosh BTW. The only difference is my blinkers are angled up just a tad in the rear,fit is perfect, also my blinkers are the dark smoked lenses, look cool but hard to see. I think Suzuki put those vent holes in the rear plastic cowl so the consumers could put oval blinkers in them :)

Two consumers and counting.

I am not one to waste space/an opportunity, so there we go.

Besides, I've never dismounted to put a bike on a center stand (pertaining to left grab handle). Just stop, flip and hold stand down on ground with left foot, then pull bike backwards up/on the stand, then I dismount. I'm sorry, I was supposed to dismount completely to do that, wasn't I?

not.

Back