Rear Fender Chop

OB_speed

Registered
And if I recall correctly if you cut off the mud flap you get exacly what Texas Fairing is selling for $230 bucks. The have a secondary piece that you can buy to cover up the reflecter under the tail light. but is more money..

I choped my fender the first weekend I had my bike. Why pay for it when you can do it for free !! (oh minus the paint color matching :) )

I sent you a couple. let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by speed (edited 23 September 1999).]

I chopped mine too, Used a sawzall and pow done. free mod looks good I just drilled two more holes up high for license plate bracket and it was a done deal.

Just finished chopping about 3 in. off the rear fender. Looks great at no cost. If you look at the back of the rear fender you will see a line in the plastic and directly behind here is a raised boss. Looks like suzuki couldn't decide how long to make it and went with the longer. This line perfectly matches with the lower contour and makes doing this easy. Remove licence plate and use a zip disc or sawzall etc to make the rough chop. Use your 4-1/2 in angle grinder to smooth up ,finish smoothing with sandpaper or emery cloth . Thats it.

I chopped the entire rear flap off the first week. Just used a hacksaw, then smothed the edges with some rough then fine sandpaper. Make sure not to cut off the blinker mounts!I manufactured a bracket to mount the original liscence plate bracket to the underside of the rear fairing. It looks much better. Basically Texas Fairing without the wait & BS. I was inspired by the photos under the modifications link on the home page posted by Rotts4u. One minor problem, The blinker mounts dont have as much support & I think they bounce a little now. I am thinking of replacing them with smaller ones or fabricating a bracket to strengthen up the mounts. Or both.

I also cut my rear fender. I found that using a hand held hacksaw works best. First i cut straight across the bottom of the fender so I would have a pattern for the final cut up much higher. I ground part of the licence plate bracket (bottom) so it would fit between the bottom of the tail light and the bump from the old plate location. I drilled a hole in the bump for the rubber bumper The license plate hits the rubber bumper in it's new location. This supports the bottom of the license so it won't vibrate and break the the license plate bracket. This really cleaned up the back of the Busa. I also modified the rear directionals. I cut out the small diameter filler piece and mounted the lights directly to the fender. I went to Home Depot and bought the hollow threaded rod anthe thin nuts in the lamp department. If you busa owners are interested in how I did this let me know. I will be posting an address next week with a photo of the license plate and directional mods.

Oh please. I removed my directionals because I couldnt find any GOOD/COOL place to put them. I will put them back on if I have find a good spot.

someone here is selling a tail light adapter for 60 bucks that turn your tail light into your blinkers .. okay but I think that a tad expensive for a couple relays :)

I would be very interested in seen your setup. I mounted my plate inside the fender behind the tire, but high enough to be read by someone in a car oh lets say 15ft back eheheh.

I trimmed my fender as well. I have a helpful tip. Dig out your old circle compus from geometry class, spread it to the length you want to remove and scribe yourself a line to follow with the drimel tool. Makes life a little easier.

Back