Anyone knows about a back rest?

OB_Hayabusero

Registered
My wife and I like to go on long trips, but we have a 5 year old boy who loves ridding on the back seat of my Busa. Does anyone know if Corbin or anyone else has a back rest for the back seat of the Hayabusa? My son will appreciate the info.

I'll call Corbin this weekend and ask them if they will be making any type of back rest for the Hayabusa since I live close to Holister where the main company is located.Best bet for little kids is to make sure you run some kind of belt on you with a loop thing and make a belt for your child and run the loop on your belt thru their belt that way you can keep them close to you in case you have to do a quick lane change or they don't pay attention and let go and might fly off the bike if you do quick take offs and stuff like that.You know how kids don't pay attention at times.I'm using my weight belt with my wrist belts as loop connection and I'm having my 7yr old daughter wear a small size weight belt which I run thru my wrist strap this keeps her close to me and I don't have to worry about her falling off the bike if I have to do sudden lane change to avoid any type of road haszard.Good Luck and ride safe.

[This message has been edited by Cisco San Jose (edited 16 March 2000).]

Cisco; that's agreat idea. I have had adults fall off the back even after I warned them repeatedly to hang on, on bikes slower than the Busa. A child just can't be counted on to stay on well without assistance. I also had a buddy bust himself up for life when I was in high school by letting him ride my bike, so I don't let anyone borrow it anymore unless it's someone I ride with regularly that also has something a lot faster than a Harley or the like!

Thanks for the idea Cisco. I know what you mean when you say they don't pay attention, my 5 year old likes to put his arms out and think that he is flying or something. Also, I did get a hold of Corbin but they don't have anything for the Busa, I did suggest they made one.

Hayabusero, I think I have the only passenger backrest equipped Busa in captivity.
It would be fairly easy to cobble up a universal backrest to go on the Busa, but that would look like crap. I took a more expensive but far more pleasing way.

Corbin did not make a Busa backrest;I checked.

I like a backrest not only for a passenger, but for being able to use some of the low profile T-Bags for luggage.I also want it instantly removable without leaving any ugly brackets .I like the 1/2cu.ft. and the 1 cu.ft. T-Bags for a '96 Harley Wide Glide, since they are small but hold a lot.Bought a backrest from Corbin to fit the same bike, and got it in the cf leather to match the Corbin on my Busa. Bought an extra grab rail, but not really necessary.

Took the backrest, the bag and the grab rail to my wrench in Poway, who is also a machinist. Installed the grab rail, set the bag on the passenger seat in proper riding position. Measured the shaft on the backrest for length.(A pocket on the bag fits over the backrest, the bottom of the bag rests on the seat, and it attaches to the rail with straps for additional security.)

After checking the angle to find horizontal, a small flat area was milled on the top of the grab rail. The shaft of the backrest was shortened, placed on the flat area of the rail and secured with stainless steel screws from underneath the rail into the bottom of the shaft. A small brace was added for additional strength. Very sanitary.
When I want the backrest, I install the grabrail which it is attached to. When I want the standard grabrail and seat or the hump, I just put them on. The Corbin backrest is adjustable for rake, which is another good feature.
This all sounds a lot more complicated than it is. The project is probably overkill for most people, but it works for me.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 17 March 2000).]

I also have a passenger backrest equipped Busa. I wanted the backrest for the comfort and security for my wife on a long trip, but I also wanted a small platform where I could strap a stuff sack behind her. A friend of mine fabricated a unit to fit in place of the stock grab rail. My wife sure appreciated it on a 4800 mi trip last summer. I also think the lines of it fit well with the rest of the bike. I have some pictures if anyone is interested. Send e-mail to takala@csi.com.

Back