Anyone have this problem

G

This occurs maybe twice a day during riding.
Pull up to lights, slow the bike down, downshift from 4th, 3rd, 2nd and stop. Click to neutral. When lights change, click to first, bike will not go into that gear, click up and down a couple times, press firmly down, and works....

Any comment welcome. Am I doing something wrong, or is it the linkage itself?

I've switched to a GP shift pattern (1up, 5down) and I've had the same thing happen. I thought it was because I'm not getting as much leverage trying to toe-up for first. It seems to be an intermittent occurrence, but when it surprises you as a traffic light goes green, it bites. I'm hoping a switch to synthetic oil will help.

I did have the problem twice in breakin but has been fine since.

My little brother has the same intermitent problem with not going into 1st on his GSXR-600. It will be fine for a week or two then it decides to f_ck with you and not want to work, no matter how hard you press down. A few times of this and bam back to normal for a few weeks. I think it is just some little glich in Suzuki's transmissions.

Yeap! I agree with JRBusa, my bike does that all the time when I downshift and don't let go of the clutch, all I have to do is release it and squeeze it again... and there she goes...

With the bike of, and in neutral, just try shifting through the gears. You cant, because as Gond so rightly says, the teeth are not lined up, or meshed.

Either snick into first just before you come to a stop, or, take your hand off the clutch lever (which you should anyway for long periods of time) and then re-clutch to engage.

Come on chaps, this is elementary bike riding.

(JC's tip is unbelievably effective at smoothing gear changes!!)

Nuts

Factory, are you suggesting someone actually read it? Oh c'mon, next you'll be suggesting the service manual!!! :)

Thanks you guys, for a while I thought it was just me...... Johnnycheese... I do grease the pivot, but only one a month or so.... I think I will step that up to after each wash like the manual says.

I will be switching to synthetic oil with my next oil change.

Again Thanks.... I do remember my 98 Katana did the same thing sometimes......

[This message has been edited by adowell (edited 03 August 2000).]

adowell,

I agree with what JRbusa said. The same thing occurs to me sometimes. Bike will be in neutral, shift into 1st, does NOT engage. I just release the clutch, then pull it in again, and it goes right into 1st no prob. Doesn't do it very often. Try adjusting your lever out farther.

Dave

When your not rolling let the clutch out just enough to allow the trans to be able to turn a little so the gears can line up to make the switch...

Sound like a case of absolute clutch disengagement allowing the main shaft to stop turning although this seems totally unlikely.If gear dogs are not misaligned then shifting is impossible no matter the pressure. The problem is easily rectified by letting the clutch out just a tad or just let it out and try again. All bikes have this inherent problem. If your shifter needs greasing then shifting will be notchy. I have added a grease fitting to mine to ease maintenance. I also believe that Zuke may have a probem with the machining of their shift drums although it is just a theory of mine. The shift drum on my Busa seems to have ridges that make shifting suck sometimes When I go into tranny I will check to see. My tranny seems to shift worse in the last 3 gears although I have never missed a shift to this date.

Jay R Hammock

Back