Anyone have experience with Triumph?

JGGUNS

Registered
I'M looking hard at a new Speed Triple R. Does anyone here have any experience with Triumph, good or bad?

I have a Triumph Sprint ST. I havent put many miles on it in the 3 years I have had it but but that's not through a fault with the bike.
I bought it to tour on and that didnt happen.Found it more tourer than sports and bought another Blade.So its been very much a second bike
Mine is an early one and the finish on the lacquered parts isnt great.It was a common problem and the later ones dont have it
On a general note the Triple is a great engine.Nice and quick in a straight line and sound fantastic when ridden hard.They sound much better IMO with a Race/Carbon can on
I was suprised by how quick it was.Mine has had no reliability problems but has had an easy life
A good friend has had 2 Sprints and now a Rocket 3.He really rates them and has had no issues with any of them.He is not so keen on Sportsbikes but puts plenty of touring miles on them
Not sure how good the resale value is if that is important but I picked mine pretty cheaply second hand.
Cant comment on that particular Speed Triple but I rode an early one and thought it was very nice

Thanks for the response. i would have thought there would have at least been a few on here that had some knowledge of Triumphs. Where's Taylor??Surely he has had at least one out the all the bikes he goes through.

I have several friends that ride them. Everyone I know that rides them, likes them.

One couple has a Speed Triple and a Street Triple R. They are getting ready to sell them because they don't spend enough time on them. They have several other bikes. My wife and I are going to look at their STR for her soon. I was offered a go at the Speed Triple when we go over. From what I have seen and read... :thumbsup:

i am no stranger to the Prince of Darkness!!:banghead:

:poke: as long as the new ones don't have a ziener diode, you should be ok! :pullhair:

Thanks for the response. i would have thought there would have at least been a few on here that had some knowledge of Triumphs. Where's Taylor??Surely he has had at least one out the all the bikes he goes through.

Hey hey now, me and bikes never:laugh:, I can't really give you any advice, I have never owned one, or have any friends with them, check the warranty out and see how that is first. Check the triumph forums for problems or things to check out.

Best of luck, they are cool looking

There is only one Triumph I have personal firsthand experience with. It was a 675 Daytona that had a blown motor at 20ish miles on the clock. Guess it wasn't a good idea to trailer it from the dealer to the track for a track day.:dunno: not the fault of the maker or the bike in any way.

Warranty did not cover it!!

The Speed Triple R is a sweet sweet bike:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

One of my other toys is a 96' Daytona 1200, one that I will probably never sell. It's 500#, 160ish crank hp (after carb work ((yes, it's carbed!)) and pipes) and built like a tank. Plenty of these go 100k miles with no problems. They are pretty rare and sold for $13k new. It's considered a "Hinkley" Triumph, the powdercoating is first class, the paint is great. My bike is frequently mistaken for a much newer model.

I have put 12k miles on it in the three years I have owned it including a 2200 mile trip last year. The only real problem I have had was a weak ground in the wiring harness that allowed the lights to go out usually in the middle of the night...repaired and no problems since. It now has 17k miles and is almost broken in. Oh yeah, it's a 4 cylinder and has 90ish '# of torque and redlines @ 9500rpm. Would I buy another Triumph? Certainly...if they came out with another monster like this one.

Flaming Gorge large.jpg

Back