Anyone else noticed this on their bike...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
My bike is about 5 weeks old and has about 400 miles on it.

As I was washing it today I felt a rough almost bubble like surface around the inner portion of the lower opening on the right side fairing (right leg).  Is this due to engine heat or just a shitty application of the vynil design.  My bike is maroon/black and it's right on the maroon stripe that goes into the intake opening.  I believe the black is actually painted on but the maroon is a vynil application...right?

Has anyone else noticed this on their bike or would someone please go check this on their bike to find out if this is normal due to excessive engine heat? Do I need to go back to the dealer and insist on a new fairing (that's what I'm thinking).

Feedback is greatly appreciated everyone.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152929925 -->

do you have a pic. you could have overfilled it with gas which overflows down a tube which ends at the bottom of the fairing. just an idea, but a pic of it would help more

If i'm picturing it correctly your "bubble" is in the lower large opening in the fairing?? My sticker bubbled slightly there to and yes it is from the heat off your radiator and headers. Not much you can do about it though, i worked the bubble on mine real easly like with my fingernail till i worked it to the edge and it layed down. It hasnt come back either.

If i'm picturing it correctly your "bubble" is in the lower large opening in the fairing??  My sticker bubbled slightly there to and yes it is from the heat off your radiator and headers.  Not much you can do about it though, i worked the bubble on mine real easly like with my fingernail till i worked it to the edge and it layed down.  It hasnt come back either.
Thanks, Sarge! It wasn't from a gasoline overfill...that I know, and yes that's exactly where it's at. Its several raised bubbles about 1.5" square. Didn't even notice it until I felt it while cleaning.

Even if it's from engine heat that's BS. Should I not take it to the dealer and ask them to repair it, new fairing, etc.?

Anyone esle out there have this problem?

I thought about taking a pin and poking a small hole in the middle of the bubble but that didnt sit well with me so lucky me mine was close to the edge and i worked it until i got it all the way to the edge of the sticker and now all is well...

I thought about taking a pin and poking a small hole in the middle of the bubble but that didnt sit well with me so lucky me mine was close to the edge and i worked it until i got it all the way to the edge of the sticker and now all is well...
I'll try that tomorrow w/ a credit card after heating it up a little bit.

i noticed this the other day when i was cleanin the faring since i had it off while the oil drained. Such is life

I just finished with my oil change. I checked and I too see bubbling on the inside of the fairings. It appears to be the sticker/logo. I have pictures attached....

Picture 1. at a distance

bubble1.jpg

WOW..
wow.gif
Yours is much worse than mine was!! You might want to get some header wrap and wrap a small area of your headers near that opening to decrease some of the heat there!

Take it back to the dealer. Have THEM re-apply a new decal.

Then when you get it home,glue a piece of header tape or heat resitant tape(the shinny stuff the factory uses to prevent bubbling on many area's inside the fairing) to the area on the inside. The tape will reflect the heat back in.

Then it wont happen again.

RSD.

+1 on Rubb's idea. Had my lower right fairing actually develop a big bubble in the plastic from this- apparently when I laid it down last year, the rt. fairing got pushed into the HMF header's outermost pipe on rt. side. The header had an insulation kit installed (came on my bike when I got it) on inside of fairing, but when pushed into the hot pipe i guess it just melted. When I next rode the bike, it was already Oct. and in WI, thats like hi 60s, so pipes never got hot enuf to melt anything until this spring when I pulled it out-first ride of spring, n i come home to clean'er up and there's this big 2" long 1/4" high bubble coming outa the lower fairing...like thick as my pinky. I took a peek inside and saw what caused it immediately. Glad I didnt replace fairing right away-just scrapped up the whole thing again 4 weeks ago.

get yourself a thermal protection kit for your headers-but still take it to stealership first n make them replace that sticker-yer bike is brand-new, shouldnt be happening already.

Those pics by bassman look almost identical to mine. It's the vynil decal - I think it's vynil - that's not able to take the heat I guess. I'll be taking it back to the dealer to get replaced and have them put header tape on, not me, unless they want me bringing it back in again.

Thanks for the coop everyone, it's nice to know that when we have common problems we can find a solution.

LATE

add a heat pad to the spot that is bubbling up.
My busa did the same. I purchased these foil wrapped fiberglass adhesive stick on pads that disapate heat. seems to have worked so far. you can get them at dennis kirk the pad is about 5 inches x 8 inches and just stick on. they are wrapped with a metal foil covering .

I took Rubb's and Purplebusa's advice. I took my bike to Coleman's (not my favorite place until now) and they ordered new plastics, covered under the warranty. I also purchased the header tape.

Back