Anyone cash in their Catalytic Converter?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
My buddy has a KTM Adventure, his buddy has the same bike and just upgraded exhaust. He was offered $700.00 for his converter. Has anyone sold theirs to help pay for their exhaust upgrades?

people around here are using a portable saw to cut them off cars and such. they get closer to $70 for them. it only takes a minute to cut them off and then they are gone. thankfully some of the scrap places are now requiring photo IDs and are recording who brings in what. police are finally getting a few of them, but it's still happening.

stupid punks...

I know that is a problem around here. There were five stolen in one day from the parking lot that my wife parks in.

For those who don't know why, it's because they have platinum ball bearings inside that allow for the chemical reaction to take place..

BF

metal in the avg cat is only worth about $25-50 from a car scrap dealer (metals are Palladium and Platinum in ceramic suspension) I sold literally hundreds of these units in the 70's and 80's... The same people paid me again in the mid 80's to install new ones when their cars could not get plates due to emissions inspection

there are 2 types of innards.. honeycomb and bead media.. The surface area of one bead (about .10") is about the same as a 18" beach ball, honeycomb is more popular as it is easier to maintain.. (and they melt just wonderfully from excess hydrocarbons)

you can go purchase brand new units for <$200 all day long..

The real value of the cat could be the guy needs it to get his bike through inspection....

Same type of theft is going on around here; you park your car at a "park-and-ride" and chances are you get back to some missing parts...

Funny, I ripped mine out of my Mustang years ago; had no clue they were so in demand
tounge.gif

Yeah they are pretty much cutting them off everything a dealership in MD had about 70 trucks hit over night.

Yeah they stole mine off my motorhome before I ever got to use it...Now there is fencing all around here and codes and keys are needed to enter...Cost me over $600 to have repaired..Trespassers beware...  
guns.gif

I sell them around here all the time. They are all legal BTW. It depends on what make/modle it comes off, but some are worth a lot.

I sell them around here all the time. They are all legal BTW. It depends on what make/modle it comes off, but some are worth a lot.
That of course begs the question, what is the cat in the busa worth at the scrap yard? And is the scrap yard the best place to sell it?
most are sold to "recyclers" the big bucks come from guys that need an OEM cat to replace one that went bad or was taken off and do not or can not use a "universal" one..

My shop truck (94 Toyota) has been hit twice now within 1 year, in front of the shop once and in front of the house this time.  Last time I was able to buy everything from the cat back for $350 from the wreckers and just bolt it back up, welded the bolt heads thinking "unbolt that! B!TCH!!!" .... Well, this time they cut each pipe about 6" out from cat so I need everything from the manifold back, I'm not havin much luck finding an inexpensive solution this time, wreckers are no longer legally allowed to sell these units (but the tweakers can? Man! that's fuked up!)...This crap get's me so pissed that I just don't even want to deal with it, all I know is that this time a heavy duty steel shroud/cage will be fabricated and mounted around the cat and connecting pipes to prevent this from happening again, probably should do the same to my 03 Prerunner seems I've read that those are one of the most targeted vehicles and the most expensive to reair.

I removed the cats from my mustang and installed a no cat H pipe. I sold the cats for $250.00 each. They only had 600 miles on them.

Damn! I took my stock busa headers and mid pipes along with the cat to the dump and gave it away. But hey at least I still have the spare one I was given a while ago.

I gave the cat off my 08 to the shop that helped redo the headers for me. They applied part of what they sold it for to my bill.

beerchug.gif

Back